Patch or Replace Rot?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memurphyiii

Reaction score
Hi all, I have rot on the drip edge and a door jamb that I'm not sure about repairing or replacing (pic attached.) It's happened in this spot before which I repaired with a wood filler kit but that was small compared to this! Now I have the question, should I patch this again or should I cut it out completely and replace the wood in this portion altogether? If I replace I am thinking about a material different from wood since this seems to be a problem spot. I've gotten a couple of opinions from sources I trust but as it goes, one says patch and the other replace. I'm leaning towards replacing. Hope I got the terms correct but happy to clarify if needed. Appreciate any help -Ed

Attachments

• rot.png
    rot.png
    606.1 KB · Views: 16
I'd replace it with AZEK cellular PVC instead of wood. With my tablesaw and other tools I could probably replicate the shape/size easily. I tend to take the long perspective on things, and rather than dig out the bad and hope for the best I start over.

Meh, slap some filler in there - paint over it - and it'll be fine for a couple years cool1.gif

Yep, that's why I post some of those smiley face thingy bobs so folks will know I wasn't being serious.

On your deal, I have seen people splice in good wood and using glue to secure it and then sand it down where it fits good and then paint over it.

I've seen that done and it looked really good and got ride of rotten sections of wood.

I guess it all depends on how difficult it is to change all the wood out

I stopped by a local recommended paint shop and talked options with a helpful guy there. He echoed that this looks like a replacement job so based on the advice I've got so far I've pretty much decided to replace assuming it's easy to get the wood out of there which I'll have to take a closer look at. To get a match (profile attached), I am thinking it'll need to be milled unless it was stock from somewhere so I'm planning to stop by some of the local millworks to bring the cut piece and talk to them about it (and see which ones work with materials other than wood.) Appreciate all the advice! -ed

Attachments

• trim.jpg
    trim.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 3
That's not one of those tequila worms crawling, is it? clueless.gif

If you can find that profile, and I suspect it isn't a custom profile and you're forced to use wood, prime all four sides plus the cut edges before installing it. then make sure it is caulked well at the seams by putting caulk on the cut ends before installation. Then of course caulk and paint it. You can probably find a number of profiles in vinyl trim at your local home improvement store.

If you can find that profile, and I suspect it isn't a custom profile and you're forced to use wood, prime all four sides plus the cut edges before installing it. then make sure it is caulked well at the seams by putting caulk on the cut ends before installation. Then of course caulk and paint it. You can probably find a number of profiles in vinyl trim at your local home improvement store.

Good advice. I'm leaning replace but I am getting a few estimates to weigh the time, effort, cost, etc. of both approaches. Thanks again!

That doesn't look like a drip molding. The profile resembles one I have seen used at the top of a door header.

Yeah, I see that now. Do a Google search for AZEK band moulding and something will come up.

Thanks! I looked it up and yep, it's very similar. I'd have to compare a sample, but what's on my house is a larger than that (I'm pretty sure) but it's good to know it's available.

Latest posts

Back