patio cover flashing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never-the-less your objective will be better served by having the original contractor complete the "waterproofing" he touts, because the fewer hands debating their individual responsibility, the better.

Murphy's law says, what can go wrong, will.

Who designed this set up, is the there a slope to the roof?
it does have a slope to it. but the problem is not with the patio cover but the fact that since there is no flashing on top of the patio to trap the rain it just soaks in the stucco and drips all the way down the wall which streaks down my windows and walls below my patio cover. also, the water comes out the bottom of the wall which puddles onto my stamped concrete. I just don't know if installing flashing on a exterior patio cover is code in california or am i just on my own.

it does have a slope to it. but the problem is not with the patio cover but the fact that since there is no flashing on top of the patio to trap the rain it just soaks in the stucco and drips all the way down the wall which streaks down my windows and walls below my patio cover. also, the water comes out the bottom of the wall which puddles onto my stamped concrete. I just don't know if installing flashing on a exterior patio cover is code in california or am i just on my own.

So if you have a permit and it was inspected, it would be built to code.

The stucco have the roof should have been removed enough to allow a flashing to be placed behind the stucco and redirect water out onto the roof.

When he attached the structure to the house he put holes thru the house wrap which is now allowing water to get into the structure which is never code.
What you see is annoying, what you can't see is the water getting to the wood in the house causing real damage.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_8qOxDrlY4[/ame]

Last edited:
So if you have a permit and it was inspected, it would be built to code.

The stucco have the roof should have been removed enough to allow a flashing to be placed behind the stucco and redirect water out onto the roof.

When he attached the structure to the house he put holes thru the house wrap which is now allowing water to get into the structure which is never code.
What you see is annoying, what you can't see is the water getting to the wood in the house causing real damage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_8qOxDrlY4
now you understand my problem. what is the best way to fix it?

Like in the video you have to get behind the house wrap with a flashing with something that will stick to the roofing and seal everything.

Like in the video you have to get behind the house wrap with a flashing with something that will stick to the roofing and seal everything.
look at this picture. it doesn't look like i have room to put it anywhere...

IMG_6823.jpg

I would be removing the stucco between the roof and that bump that looks like a 2x12 just above that.

Neal, this is one of the many "gentrifications" of "architectural" Aluminum patio covers marketed today, and the method of installation seldom if ever requires the breaking of stucco or for that matter the disturbing of the exterior finish.

The contractor was depending upon the wrapped 2x architectural element to deflect water running down the wall away from the caulk joint. What he hadn't budgeted for was the severity of the wind and rain the truly left coast has received.

The vendor for this cover has a stock of aluminum modified "J" flashings, which the contractor could have and now should install, at no charge.

Neal, this is one of the many "gentrifications" of "architectural" Aluminum patio covers marketed today, and the method of installation seldom if ever requires the breaking of stucco or for that matter the disturbing of the exterior finish.

The contractor was depending upon the wrapped 2x architectural element to deflect water running down the wall away from the caulk joint. What he hadn't budgeted for was the severity of the wind and rain the truly left coast has received.

The vendor for this cover has a stock of aluminum modified "J" flashings, which the contractor could have and now should install, at no charge.

thanks for your help...would you have to remove the panels to do this flashing? also how about potential moisture that could be in the wall should i worry about that? the house is only 10 mos built in 2016. or will it dry out if i get this flashing done? thanks!

the rain it just soaks in the stucco and drips all the way down the wall which streaks down my windows and walls below my patio cover.

In this particular condition, is all the water on the outside surfaces and if so it is because the caulking has failed or was incorrectly installed, or the wrong product.

Stucco 1st and 2nd coats are a formulation of red label cement and does not absorb water, however the color coat or 3rd, because of the formulation, will absorb some water, and appear wet, but dries readily.

also, the water comes out the bottom of the wall which puddles onto my stamped concrete.

Are you sure that the water "comes out of the wall", or is just continuing down the surface of the wall and dripping off the weep screed,(which is a metal flashing at the bottom of the stucco, likely not visible, and leaves a gap above the patio slab.)

I just don't know if installing flashing on a exterior patio cover is code in california or am i just on my own.

It may not "necessarily" be code in the municipality where you are, however, it is certainly not good business practice.

You might take your contract and photos to the building dept. and voice your concerns and if they advise you to take it up with the state contractors license board, at that point DO NOT communicate with the contractor in any than a written form.

Are you sure that the water "comes out of the wall", or is just continuing down the surface of the wall and dripping off the weep screed,(which is a metal flashing at the bottom of the stucco, likely not visible, and leaves a gap above the patio slab.)

Weep screed at the bottom to allow water out from behind stucco that doesn't absorb water?:confused:

Weep screed at the bottom to allow water out from behind stucco that doesn't absorb water?:confused:

Water penetrates, is not absorb thru, stucco at cracks, which generally appear at the corners of windows and doors or from shrinkage in the mix or displacement of the foundation or as the result of tectonics.

The asphalt impregnated paper under the 1"/20 stucco netting is the weather proofing conduit for any moisture that penetrate the stucco, and is lapped over the weepscreed, conducting the water down where it is than vacated through the weep holes in the weep screed.

The "weep" action is not dissimilar from tearing, in volume, ergo, weepscreed.

Stucco is the weather proofing.

Water penetrates, is not absorb thru, stucco at cracks, which generally appear at the corners of windows and doors or from shrinkage in the mix or displacement of the foundation or as the result of tectonics.

The asphalt impregnated paper under the 1"/20 stucco netting is the weather proofing conduit for any moisture that penetrate the stucco, and is lapped over the weepscreed, conducting the water down where it is than vacated through the weep holes in the weep screed.

The "weep" action is not dissimilar from tearing, in volume, ergo, weepscreed.

Stucco is the weather proofing.

Your are mixing your terms
Stucco is weather resistant and tar paper is your waterproofing.

You need to interpret the information in its overall context.

Your are mixing your terms
Stucco is weather resistant and tar paper is your waterproofing.

Using the info people on this forum have given me I am going to contact the contractor one more time to install z flashing above my patio cover. I believe this will prevent the rain water from going down the inside and outside of my stucco wall below my patio cover and escaping the weep screed which creates puddles on my new concrete. I think we are all in agreement this was bad business on his part for knowingly installing a patio cover without metal flashing above. He certainly did not expect the extreme rain fall we received in the last few months as well which luckily let us discover the problem right away. Or else who knows when we would have found out. If contacting him doesn't work I will send a demand letter then contact the ca license board to file a complaint and file a claim against his bond. Am I missing anything?

Installing "Z" bar between the architectural element, is virtually impossible, because of the narrow dimension.

The caulking failed because it was improperly installed, IE. forced into the texture of the stucco.

As I stated before, the most practical solution is to have the contractor install the normal flashing associated with patio covers, however this is my practice, (and I've been doing this for over 40yrs. and do not do warranty work), remove the existing caulk, install an elastomeric caulk, install the modified "J" flashing, caulked between the "J" and the architectural element and where the flashing blends with the cover.

However, as I advise all my customers, find out everything you can about your cover.
IF., your cover has a name and there should be a PDF about the product, from the roll-former, with all the available accessories.

A blanket statement doesn't address post #32.

3. Install Rain Flashing
A.
Fasten rain flashing to the house wall or the house fascia board directly
using #10 screws every 6”.
B.
Fasten flashing to patio roof using #8 x 1/2" sheet metal screws at the roof
panels interloc
k.
C.
Overlap lengths of flashing at least 1” and fasten through to panel interlock.
D.
Caulk generously all along the attachment to the house

Thank you, for taking the steps to consolidate your position.

As far as his statement about waterproofing your stucco. It worked, it put you off onto another tract, but it also got you informed as to the fallacy of that statement.

If you are not clear about this;"Are you sure that the water "comes out of the wall", or is just continuing down the surface of the wall and dripping off the weep screed,(which is a metal flashing at the bottom of the stucco, likely not visible, and leaves a gap above the patio slab.)" you should address it for clarity and there are professional leak detection firm who can and will.

You may also have a problem with the window caulking, that has nothing to do with the patio cover.

Because if you are successful in persuading this contractor to, "do the right thing", you can count on him also asking for a release of liability.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back