Power outlet for external mounted tankless water heater

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxdad118

JOAMOS
Reaction score
I’m wondering what is the easiest or preferred way to run electrical to the outside wall of one of my bathrooms to power a tankless water heater? There is an outlet in an odd place that is never used but is not gfci protected, at least the outlet itself isn’t? I’m wondering how would I get that wire to the outside, pull it back up to the attic, attach a junction box and add romex or single wire thru rigid conduit out through an attic soffit vents and down to the unit? Another idea I had was to piggyback off a wall outlet on the same exterior wall and run it to the unit? Any suggestions? I can get a few pictures tomorrow or when I get a chance? Any do’s or don’t s I should pay attention to?

For just this bathroom, or was this addressed in your previous thred,"Removing galvanized and going copper"?

And if just for this bathroom, are isolating just the hot, or both?

So you are isolation 2 of the bathrooms from the recently repiped copper change over?

Will this be a 240V elec. on demand system?

Not sure if I’m going to isolate it yet, was wondering how it would work with both connected...in case the tankless is down for whatever reason I could still get hot water? The 40 gal is on the other side of the house from the bathrooms. We have a large jacuzzi bathtub and it uses most of the 40 gal hot water not to mention wasting a lot of water until it gets hot.

The cable used to power a receptacle is not even close to what is needed for a tankless heater. You will need to pull new cables back to the panel. I say cables because electric tankless heaters most often require two or three 40 amp or 60 amp feeds.
If this is a gas fired unit then the cable might be suitable for the 120 volt control supply.

Removing galvanized and going copper"

In that thred you were referred to a recirc. system which, when correctly programed, would have afforded you hot water virtually on demand, at all locations.

So, assuming this on demand will be gas fired, a 120V GFCI for the pilot, and maybe just maybe, a recirc. system tied between the two hot water feeds will, sort of, isolate these 2 bathrooms.

It’s going to be gas, it only needs 120vac and uses very little, mainly small fan and igniter. The copper water pipes was a different issue all together and I left a 3/4” stub close by in the crawl space for this reason....dedicated 1” gas line already plumbed over a few years ago by myself. Just need the electrical outlet and tankless, of course.

If you are in a cold zone you may want a dedicated circuit just for a heat strip to prevent freezing.

Back