Pressure Sensitive Adhesive

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffK

Reaction score
Hi
Can pressure sensitive adhesive be used successfully, to lay rolled carpe, that has no rubber backing?
If so, Is there a product you'd recommend?

I want to install the carpet on plywood, on a raised platform to make an indoor putting green.
Thank you

I know I successfully used a "Headliner Spray Adhesive" made by 3M, to install carpeting upside down, in the bow area of my boat. It stuck great for many years, until it sunk off the coast of Arizona, in the Pacific, with all my guns aboard. (Last portion obviously a joke)

Do you mean double-sided carpet tape?
No it's an adhesive. Troweled on , it does not harden. Good for carpet tiles as they can be removed when necessary and replaced with a new tile without new adhesive.

there are carpet adhesives that don't require a special backing on the carpet. the thing to look out for is squeeze-thru. low pile carpet can't hide it very well. And if your carpet/rug is not very tightly woven, well you can imagine not being happy with it. Get a small remnant or sample and test it. Apply a very thin layer and see if it's strong enough for your need. Is pressure sensitive a requirement? do you plan on removing it at a later date?

there are carpet adhesives that don't require a special backing on the carpet. the thing to look out for is squeeze-thru. low pile carpet can't hide it very well. And if your carpet/rug is not very tightly woven, well you can imagine not being happy with it. Get a small remnant or sample and test it. Apply a very thin layer and see if it's strong enough for your need. Is pressure sensitive a requirement? do you plan on removing it at a later date?
Thank you.
I'm making an indoor putting green and may decide to modify, so being able to remove as row or carpet tiles would be advantageous.
I do realize that newer replacement carpet squares most likely won't match color or wear wise.

Carpet squares for a putting green? So many seams to make perfect🤨. Not to mention lifting and or curling
Sorry, I spaced out. I will be using a product I'm buying from Camry Turf. Many good reviews and a few PGA Tour pros have it in their homes.
I do have experience with carpet with carpet tiles having been in the commercial cleaning and repair business for 25 years.

Sorry, I spaced out. I will be using a product I'm buying from Camry Turf. Many good reviews and a few PGA Tour pros have it in their homes.
I do have experience with carpet with carpet tiles having been in the commercial cleaning and repair business for 25 years.
I'd love to see pics of this when completed!

Advantage Tape: No glue residue to scrape when you want to replace the turf.

Some Good Tapes:
The turf guys at the NFL stadium where I worked used WOD DCCCT61W Tape to repair rips the playing field. It was also used to adhere the end zone fields when different art was needed. It works well on the seemingly always damp concrete substrate.

It also was used for the sideline carpet when the NBA team still played there.

It works very, very well and leaves no residue on wood or concrete when the carpet is removed later. It can be ironed on for even more grip, but the plywood will delaminate when you try to remove the carpet. I use it at home for many things.

Roberts Heat-Loc is also very good, but has to be ironed on and heated off to prevent tears in the carpet.

Also available is TrafficMaster Artificial Grass Seam Tape, but it is expensive & not quite as strong as those above. Advantage = Width.

Happy Golfing!
Paul

Advantage Tape: No glue residue to scrape when you want to replace the turf.

Some Good Tapes:
The turf guys at the NFL stadium where I worked used WOD DCCCT61W Tape to repair rips the playing field. It was also used to adhere the end zone fields when different art was needed. It works well on the seemingly always damp concrete substrate.

It also was used for the sideline carpet when the NBA team still played there.

It works very, very well and leaves no residue on wood or concrete when the carpet is removed later. It can be ironed on for even more grip, but the plywood will delaminate when you try to remove the carpet. I use it at home for many things.

Roberts Heat-Loc is also very good, but has to be ironed on and heated off to prevent tears in the carpet.

Also available is TrafficMaster Artificial Grass Seam Tape, but it is expensive & not quite as strong as those above. Advantage = Width.

Happy Golfing!
Paul
Very interesting, I'll add that info to my tool kit.
Yes, I most likely won't remove the carpet but just in case, I don't want to delaminate the ply.
Just thinking that carpet tiles have a plastic backing and probably lessens chance of movement in the field/center of the carpet. Whereas regular carpet backing isn't as stiff and stable.

Thanks!

Jeff,
I goofed on the WOD tape part number. (One too many Cs)
It's DCCT61W. It comes in many widths, up to at least 4" & maybe wider.

One thing I forgot to mention was that the backing on the DCCT61W is hard to get started. I leave some backing from the tape I just removed sticking past the tape on the roll for easy grabbing later.

For clarity- It's never de-laminated plywood on me unless I ironed it. Then, always.

Paul
PS: That is a very good point you made about carpet wiggling around on the backing. Interesting!

Jeff,
I goofed on the WOD tape part number. (One too many Cs)
It's DCCT61W. It comes in many widths, up to at least 4" & maybe wider.

One thing I forgot to mention was that the backing on the DCCT61W is hard to get started. I leave some backing from the tape I just removed sticking past the tape on the roll for easy grabbing later.

For clarity- It's never de-laminated plywood on me unless I ironed it. Then, always.

Paul
PS: That is a very good point you made about carpet wiggling around on the backing. Interesting!
Thanks for the follow up.

Back