Privacy knobset - swap out the external knob with same brand, different finish?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZoomieCat

Reaction score
Hello.
I've bought Emtek knobsets for my entry doors. They will build sets in any combination of knob & finishes, but I do not have the budget to use that brand throughout the house on my internal doors. (Used the $$ to replace interior hollow-core doors with solid instead).

Two bathrooms will have privacy knobsets, and I'd like their inside knobs to be chrome and the outside knobs on each set to be brass. I've found some good close-out prices on decent knobsets - if I buy two chrome privacy sets and and one brass passage set, can I swap the brass knobs onto outside of the privacy sets?

Last edited:
Yes, Bill, I have too, but this particular brand I asked the question about is a knock-off/lookalike quite good match to the Emtek sets and they only come in all the same finish.

I did that on my freshly painted steel doors, didn't like the brass look on the gray doors, so I bought a black hi-gloss spray bomb.. and painted the outside and left the brass inside... Looks great...

Back