Purchased big project home, certain will need suggestions/advise/moral support too :)

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure about the sequence of things or the rules for FL. so I can't answer directly. My experience here is that the TV room has a closet, therefore it's appraised as a bedrm. This affects the size of the septic system I had to put in (sized according to # of bedrooms) and of course, the taxes.

One guy i know went so far as to wall off a couple rooms with drywall until after appraisal, then he cut the holes for the doors afterwards. Just sayin'.

So basically if we closed off (wink wink) the closet, then it wouldn't be considered a bedroom and once all is said and done we can open it up. Of course we would want to finish that closet before drywalling over it so that whenever we did decide to open it it's all done… except for cleaning up the mess and finishing the rough cut after cutting out the drywall that would cover it. Something to consider if it's going to save some on the property appraisers value i.e. property taxes!

So your 3 br morphs into a 4 br and 2 years down the road you list it for sale as a 4 br. Anyone doing due diligence is going to ask for the permitting and if it's a legal 4th br.
The reality is that it's not about having a closet in a room...I have one in my living room, that doesn't make it a bedroom. Your house's original construction permit will say how many brs were built and any permits after will say if you added brs legally.
While you may think you're never going to sell, those kinds of issues can create delays or problems down the road.
If you're going to be having inspections on work done, most of those Inspectors aren't stupid. They know the games and tricks. While I'd admit to doing unpermitted work on my houses, I'm not recommending running down to the assessors office if you decide to add a bedroom after the fact. Just weigh the pros and cons.

My house was listed as a 4 BR. In the process of rebuilding it one of the bedrooms was
on the first floor and was actually a parlor in its day but as the people were old they
didn’t want to climb stairs so it became a bedroom. I added an archway so now it’s an
extension of the living room called the TV room. Upstairs had 3 BR but one was only
6’x8’ and made a great walk in closet. So now we are down to 2 BR if we ever sell. I
personally think it’s crazy how they try and set values on things base on someone making
a table of what rooms you have. I wish they would go by square feet and stay out of what
people want to do inside their house. I had a neighbor once that added an addition to his
house and left the top strip of siding off after a couple years I asked him if he ran out of
siding. He said no but he didn’t have to pay taxes on the addition until it was finished.

Well this is already a 4 bedroom home 3 bathrooms….1 bedroom on the 1st level and 3 on the 2nd level… I don't think we need a 5 bedroom yet at the same time it doesn't make any sense to have a tv room on the 2nd level either. I think (could be wrong) the plans call this room in question with a closet a tv room. I'll have to look again, don't actually need a closet in it either unless we were to turn it into another bedroom. My question would still be if we want it a bedroom wouldn't it be smarter other then taxed value to do the framing as a bedroom now instead of after all is done? Mainly because of the mess, I would still consider making that closet a hide away space we could easily enough make a hide away closet within the closet, or the area that the seller wanted to make a wine cellar on the first level.

3 bedroom with an office. hide the closet as storage for the office. you are ALWAYS going to need extra storage space
a closet does not have to be a closet, it can be for files, or a make up area, built in safe

or it could be the main computer video room for outdoor/indoor security equipment/monitors / entertainment
center with speakers run thru out the house

or fill it up with canned beans!!!!!!!!!!!

Ideas....
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=hidden+rooms+behind+bookcases&qpvt=hidden+rooms+behind+bookcases&qpvt=hidden+rooms+behind+bookcases&FORM=IGRE

11-living-room-hidden-bookcase.jpg

Last edited:
The more we have discussed the room upstairs that's on the plans as a tv room, the more we're thinking we could use it as a guest room/office. I've been looking at murphy beds/entertainment center combo's and they've certainly come a long way since the 60's - 80's. My husband said add it to the list of things to build…he seems to think it could make one but not until all is done. Which I agree there's no big hurry, need to get many other projects finished…"Like the house". :)

The more we have discussed the room upstairs that's on the plans as a tv room, the more we're thinking we could use it as a guest room/office. I've been looking at murphy beds/entertainment center combo's and they've certainly come a long way since the 60's - 80's. My husband said add it to the list of things to build…he seems to think it could make one but not until all is done. Which I agree there's no big hurry, need to get many other projects finished…"Like the house". :)

I agree, if you decide to sell, extra bedroom is money

We will have to change the plans that are filed though because I did look at them it's not a bedroom on the plans so it will eventually have to be changed and the one thing I recall about remodeling our primary home was the mess the drywall sanding left. So prior to putting in cabinets, flooring, etc. we will have to frame it out and put up the drywall to close it off as a guest room/office.

minimize dust from drywall sanding by using a damp sponge instead of sandpaper.

Good to know, the dust from the sanding on our remodel was the worst part of the renovations. Had dust every where, in all cabinets, cloths were coated with a light dust, I'll check into the sponges and anything else that will help.

I was never a rock and mudder by trade but with my own renovations, I learned to tape and mud to the point of barely having to sand. The trick is in a good first coat on the tape but not too much. Scraping it down between coats to remove any peaks. When almost done I would use a light held along the wall and a 3" knife with some mud to fill any tiny pits or lines. Just put it on and scrape it off.

I was never a rock and mudder by trade but with my own renovations, I learned to tape and mud to the point of barely having to sand. The trick is in a good first coat on the tape but not too much. Scraping it down between coats to remove any peaks. When almost done I would use a light held along the wall and a 3" knife with some mud to fill any tiny pits or lines. Just put it on and scrape it off.

I went onto YouTube and found a few good tutorials. It does seem your correct about the first coat and tape really makes a big difference. The damp sponge also helps, I found a gadget that you can insert a sanding block into that also attaches to the industrial vacuum too. Although I think with this big of a job that would be a little time consuming, but the first coat and tape makes a big difference in following coats.

Insulation finished except for the ceiling which we're considering blown in insulation vs rolled type, any preferences here?

We build attic access at least 13" above ceiling drywall. Over the exterior wall you want air shoot stapled to the roof sheeting for ventulation and plug the rest of the hole with batts.
If you have roof over dects or entrence ways that don't need insulation , roughly add plywood or something at least 13 inches high over the wall to keep the insulation over the house.

We're ready for a couple more inspections, also have the entrance doors installed now. Feeling like we're making headway now…:)

A couple photos of doors we just installed, the house is beginning to take shape.

Pics of Doors entrance from inside the house.jpg

Pics of Doors from inside another view.jpg

Thank you, I took a risk and bid on them on Ebay… Didn't see them in person until they arrived.

Back