PVC fitting leaks

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curious about what size the lines are that we're talking about. A 1/2 inch pvc pipe is really not that hard to flex into place, but a 2 inch pipe would be impossible.

Also curious: did you turn off the water and relieve any pressure in the pipe before you tried the extra cement? Did you try that on clean pvc or after the silicone and tape?

Curious about what size the lines are that we're talking about. A 1/2 inch pvc pipe is really not that hard to flex into place, but a 2 inch pipe would be impossible.

Also curious: did you turn off the water and relieve any pressure in the pipe before you tried the extra cement? Did you try that on clean pvc or after the silicone and tape?

Yes, water was turned off.

First I tried the silicone. When I saw it didn't work it peeled right off. Then I tried the cement. But I didn't know about the wet set stuff. There were some droplets at the fitting and I think it messed with the cement. The tape was last. The package claimed to be applicable over wet pipes. I still tried to get it dry and clean.

Best practice is to use the minimum number of fittings possible, as most leaks and failures occur at the fittings. There are times when there is no other way, but one should not abandon good practice simply because another way is easier or cheaper. In a concrete slab, perhaps that would be OK but in soil, you just dig a little further each way so that you can gain the movement needed to do the repair without adding more potential failure points than you have to.

Phil

Best practice is to use the minimum number of fittings possible, as most leaks and failures occur at the fittings. There are times when there is no other way, but one should not abandon good practice simply because another way is easier or cheaper. In a concrete slab, perhaps that would be OK but in soil, you just dig a little further each way so that you can gain the movement needed to do the repair without adding more potential failure points than you have to.

Phil

Yes. That was the crux of my question. I'm going to be adding 3 fittings in order to repair 1. Just wanted to see if there was another way.

If I understand correctly , just cut it out & fix it . This is not rocket science . And I am not even a plumber .

If your shut off valve leaks a little & you can not completely stop the drips , use the bread trick .

God bless
Wyr

Latest posts

Back