Recessed Medicine Cabinet

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesedays

Reaction score
We bought a new medicine cabinet which we thought was the same size, but it isn't ....it's larger. We took it back but were told they no longer make medicine cabinets in the smaller size.

We cut the dry wall out to make the whole larger for the new cabinet ...but the 2 x 4 on the right of the whole actually runs from ceiling to floor ....what do we do about cutting this to fit the cabinet? Does this mean we have to cut in and install new 2 x 4's at the top and bottom (meaning longer ones to hold the vertical 2 x 4?) If so, what tool do we use to cut this vertical 2 x 4?

I was thinking jig saw?? If so, any special blade in mind?

Hello thesedays,

First, what is the medicine cabinet size and the existing opening size? An minimum opening of 14 1/2" width is usual. You may want to measure your opening size then call around to different suppliers to see what's available. If this doesn't work, post your actual dimensions here and we'll get back with you.
hth, Doug

Yea, you want to avoid cutting that stud. We have no idea if its a load bearing wall or not. There are different techniques for re-framing if it is or isn't load bearing.

Actually, cutting through a single load bearing stud shouldn't be a problem if reinforced. Reinforce with a longer piece on the opposite side and anchor with drywall screws. During remodeling I've seen dozens of situations where a single stud was cut/removed for years and in that short span it doesn't cause a problem.
This is just the experience that I've had, your situation may vary.
hth, Doug

Latest posts

Back