Redo Shower

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acs73

Reaction score
I'd like to redo the shower to make it a walk-in tiled shower instead of having the tub with a sliding door.

Does anyone have any idea of the cost of doing this by ourselves, and also what it would cost to hire someone?

Any help is appreciated!

Changing from a tub/shower to shower only will require changing the drain pipe size from 1-1/2" to 2". Cost depends on what materials you choose to install. Since this is not a job you want to redo every few years, I suggest using quality fixtures. Doing it yourself is a great way to save money, but if you only have one bathroom, it could be a real pain. You need to decide between finances and the amount of time you will be without the tub/shower. Take a serious look at your DIY skills and decide if you can do the job properly the first time since this is not something you want to be fixing continually. I love DIYing and it is great to look at a finished project and take the credit for doing it. Not so nice if you are taking the "blame" for it.

Tile Information?
Have I got the infor for you!
Here is a link John Bridge's Website.
He wrote the book on Kerdi Tiled Showers!
He really did I'm not making that up!
Here is a link to buy his book. The Kerdi Shower Book

I cannot make any comment except to say he is the best resource on the web for your answers.
IMHO Kerdi is by far the best system out there.

Latest posts

Back