Reface Kitchen Cabs. options

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creatrix

Reaction score
I'm looking for a company that sells doors/drawer fronts to reface my kitchen cabinets. I plan to paint so I want a paint grade option. I also need to add some new cabinets so I need both reface and new options. Any suggestions?
Everyone I've seen does not have a paint grade option.
thanks in advance!

Last edited:
One reason for that is paint does not hold up on cabinets. You would be better of replacing the doors and adding a venner to the rails and stiles to match.

refacing is very hard to do yourself. if im not mistaken Homedepo sells the materials you need to do the project yourself, you should also check out the "HD supply superstore" Good luck on your project

Applying veneer is not rocket science, you apply contact cement let it get tacky then apply it, roll it, then trim it.
All the tools are right here on this web site. Rockler - Search Results for 'veneer tools'
And the institutions on how to do it are all over the web, just Google "applying veneer" or "refacing cabinets".

Last edited:
We had our cabinets painted with BM oil-based Satin Impervo in a cream color and we are very pleased with the durability of the painted surfaces. It has been two years, and I have 3 boys ages 16, 14 and 11. One of them dropped a black Sharpie marker down the front of the cabinet and I got it off with one of those magic eraser things. In two years I have done touch ups with an artist's brush twice on a few tiny nicks caused by kid borne objects. If the cabinets were stained wood, that would have been more difficult. We spent around 2K on a very large kitchen, and that included painting by a professional, beadboard trim on the side panels, crown moulding trim and having a few doors cut for glass. If we refaced it ourselves we would have spent much more than that due to the large number of cabinets.

thanks to everyone for their input! Glad to hear about your experience 3gmp — I know painting can last but appreciate a reality check!

I also am looking for some paint-grade cabinets because I would like to paint and antique them myself. I have experience with antique-ing and have practiced on furniture so I feel comfortable with the process. I don't need anything that is high-quality, just something that fits my budget because I'm over the cabinets in our current kitchen, they are just too dated!

Back