Reinforcing cracked shower tile

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svendster

Reaction score
Hello

So, I recently noticed these cracks in my shower and I'm wondering what people would suggest I do to keep it them from getting worse. Am not concerned about the appearance, if that makes a difference.

I don't exactly know how old the cracks are, but I feel like they can't be that old since I use the shower every day and only noticed today. I am not aware of impact or other accident. I think the holes were put in a few years ago by the previous owner.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_0351.JPG

Welcome.
A bit of tub-n-tile caulk will seal.

The vertical crack appears to be something that ordinarily occurs when a caulking that is not as malleable as POLYSEAMSEAL is used.

The cure for the fractured tile, is to replace, however the likelihood of finding a match, is remote.

The vertical crack appears to be something that ordinarily occurs when a caulking that is not as malleable as POLYSEAMSEAL is used.

The cure for the fractured tile, is to replace, however the likelihood of finding a match, is remote.

Ok thank you. I'm not too concerned about matching or the general appearance (i.e., if there was something creative I could do to make it last longer that's ugly that's fine). I'd just like to prolong the life of that tile.

It sounds like I should seal the cracks per your previous suggestion and wait until it needs to be replaced. Hopefully that won't be for a while.

Maybe I screwed that shower curtain rod in with too much tension.

Thanks.

That could be, good intensions and all.

Hopefully the tile adhesive was moisture resistant.

Walls often move & it looks like, oddly, that your tile was more fragile than the grout. The installer didn't leave a gap for expansion. On the wall, movement isn't too much of a problem because it moves as one plane. In the corner, one wall moved and the other didn't get out of the way.

If you go to ancient installations (such as thousand or more years ago) you will see lead pressed into vertical corners instead of mortar. Later, a clay and linseed oil mix was used.

Don't count on "flexible" grouts such as Ardex FL. They are kind of good for in-plane movement, but on corners they will crack and let moisture in. As people said above, I'd remove the grout and caulk. If perfection isn't a requirement, you can grout the crack in the tile before caulking- or caulk wide up there.

"Elastomeric" is a key word when you shop for caulk to use on this project. Caulks like Dap Tub & Tile don't stretch enough. They also dry and pull away quickly, letting water in.

I like PPG Top Gun 300xi or 400xi caulk for tiled areas. Both adhere extremely well to clean tile- even if still glossy. They're easy to tool. Both stretch multiple times their original width & length. They come in limited colors. One may be close to what you want- or contrast enough to look cool.

Sashco makes Big Stretch, a good caulk which is similar to 300xi, but is harder to work with. (Thinner and slumps easier on vertical)
You can also get sanded caulk specifically for tile. I don't know how well it adheres or stretches.

Paul

Back