Removing Old Backer Board

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jong112

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to the forum since I'm having a tiling issue and have found no good resource for help. I'm having some issues removing old backer board in my kitchen and thought I'd seek out some advice. I am retiling the kitchen floor (with a wood subfloor) and have removed 90% of the old tile and old backer board. Problem is, the old backer board goes under the cabinets. My plan was to simply install the new backer board up to the cabinets and caulk if there were any gaps between the old backer board and the new backer board since any unsightliness would be covered by the kickboard. But I can't seem to cut the old backer board in a straight line or far enough back where the new backer board will sit flush with the old backer board. What's left of the old backer board is jagged and uneven (picture attached for reference) and since it's under the cabinets I am having a hard time getting under there to try and cut it to make it straight and even. I even bought a dremel and tried using a small circular bit to cut it nice and straight but, being that it's cement backer board, the dremel won't cut it effectively.

Any one had this issue or have any suggestions? I even thought about just installing the new backer board as best I could and let the tile hang about an inch off the backer board to help hide the gaps but I don't want to jeopardize the integrity of the tile. I would really appreciate it! Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_4325.jpg
    IMG_4325.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 6
That tool with the diamond blade with work.
Dozens of other jobs that one tool will do that no other tool will do.
Want to cheap out, a long handled brick chicle would also snap it off.

Back