Replacing stud?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dontmessup1993

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I’m new to this community so if I ask anything stupid, please be patient with me😅.

I’ve never done much involving walls before so this may be a simple question but just looking for peace of mind.

I recently removed a built in book shelf so that I can to move a tv there. A stud was cut in order to make the bookshelf, and now I need to add that section of stud back to put drywall there. My plan is to simply cut the height of 2 x 4 that is needed to fill the gap, nail it to the top piece through the attic, and then attach two adjoining pieces to the sides in order to attach it to the existing bottom portion of stud.

My only concern is (and I realize I should have checked before I took the bookshelf out), does that plan check out if the wall is load-bearing? I don’t think it is but if it is should I be thinking about this differently?

I’ve attached some photos to help explain: image.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
If it were load bearing the book shelf would have been compromised by the weight from above, or they built in a header above. Fill in the missing piece, add some blocking to hold it in place and call it a day.

Back