Rot Under Living Room Hardwood Floor

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SFLman

Reaction score
There is rot in a few spots under my living room floor. It seems kind of not possible, but I honestly don't believe this problem is worsening.

I've been looking at this damaged area ever since I moved here 10 years ago. If I had seen negative progress, I would have said to myself, "Must fix." Over the years it looked spooky but no worse.

ROT 01.jpg

Anyhow, I'm finally wanting to do something, so I cut out a small section of one board tonight.

IMG_20230707_032148282.jpg

I scooped out the rotten sub floor. The photo above shows the concrete. I plan to wait until there is a hard rain and see if the concrete takes on water. This is a one story home without a basement. I'm relieved to see nothing resembling bug activity, but then again I didn't expect to see that, since again this problem hasn't seemed to advance.

I took the opportunity to confirm, so I rolled back the carpet, scooted the living room table and rolled the other side. No indication of rot. I rapped with my knuckle here and there on a few dark spots. No hollow sound like in the damaged area.

IMG_20230707_022638016.jpg IMG_20230707_023107727.jpg

I would love to figure out what caused the damage, but my never know. There is a long piece of flooring running perpendicular (parallel to the window) and it appears to be in perfect condition. Indicated in red below. Seems not logical that this piece could be in 100% good condition while a piece just 5 inches away could be rotted.

BRIGHTER 01.jpg

I dropped a mirror in the channel to get a backside view. I slid the mirror back and forth to inspect. No rot or discoloration of the long board which runs parallel to the big windows seen.

IMG_20230707_021903039.jpg

If anyone was to move a piece of furniture and set it on one of the rot spots, the hardwood flooring would buckle and snap. It is quite thin in places, so I want to try to replace it. But my concern is that I don't want to make a superficial fix if there is a larger problem. Best to fix the entire problem.

Maybe water can bubble up into the home through a crack in the foundation? We have had some tremendous rains down here. In 2014 we had 10 inches of rain in 8 hours I believe it was. The water did get over the edges of the pool that day, and halfway up the driveway in front, but no further.

Any suggestions anyone has would be welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_20230707_023107727.jpg
    IMG_20230707_023107727.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230707_022638016.jpg
    IMG_20230707_022638016.jpg
    868.7 KB · Views: 0
Is it possible the water migrated from the edge of the slab? I had a similar issue, so I dug the dirt from the slab on the exterior and built a small trench away from the slab, then backfilled it with landscape bark. This allowed air to dry the slab. If you have access, you could also waterproof the edge of the slab. Concrete is very porous.

Back