Rotten Exterior Windows

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dborns

Reaction score
Hello. I have two windows in my home that are in need of a temp repair until I can replace them completely. The inside lower wood trim is rotting out. I would like to remove the damaged piece, clean out anymore rot underneath, then replace with new trim. I understand this isn’t a permanent fix, I want to keep the cold air out until I can put in all new.

Attachments

• IMG_8568.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8569.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Sorry I didn’t scroll down enough and this should have been under windows and doors.

If the rot is not thru and thru, you might want to scrape out the soft wood and use filler for a temporary fix. I've also used wood hardener to rescue some of the existing wood before filling.

Hello. I have two windows in my home that are in need of a temp repair until I can replace them completely. The inside lower wood trim is rotting out naturfonster.se. I would like to remove the damaged piece, clean out anymore rot underneath, then replace with new trim. I understand this isn’t a permanent fix, I want to keep the cold air out until I can put in all new.
Hello! It's a smart move to address the rotting wood trim on your windows to prevent further damage and keep the cold air out temporarily. Here's a basic guide for your temporary repair:

1. Assess the Damage: Carefully examine the extent of the rot on the lower wood trim. Ensure you identify all areas affected by rot.
  2. Remove the Damaged Trim: Using a utility knife, pry bar, or similar tools, carefully remove the damaged wood trim. Take your time to avoid causing further damage to surrounding areas.
  3. Inspect for Rot Underneath: Once the trim is removed, inspect the underlying area for any signs of rot or moisture damage. If you find any, clean it out thoroughly and allow the area to dry completely.
  4. Replace with New Trim: Cut a piece of new wood trim to fit the dimensions of the removed piece. Ensure it's treated or primed for exterior use to withstand weather conditions. Secure the new trim in place using appropriate nails or screws.
  5. Seal and Caulk: Apply wood sealant or primer to the new trim to protect it from moisture. Then, seal around the edges with exterior-grade caulking to prevent air leaks.
  6. Monitor and Plan for Replacement: Keep an eye on the repaired area to ensure it holds up until you can replace the windows completely. Meanwhile, plan for the replacement process to avoid further damage or discomfort.
Remember, this is a temporary solution, so it's essential to proceed with a permanent replacement as soon as possible. If you're unsure about any step or need further assistance, don't hesitate to consult a professional for guidance

Back