Sash lock question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgates12

Reaction score
Just got a resale house and having and issue with one of the windows. There is a gap where the sash lock clips into the keeper; thus not allowing the lock mechanism to grab into the keeper. The original vinyl window installer is out of business, so they are of no use.
What would cause a gap like this to occur and/or is there a way to fix this so I can lock the window? Thank you in advance for any advice!
IMG_0921.jpeg

I would remove both parts to see if the hook or latch has been damaged. It could be they were never aligned correctly also.

Is there excessive play in the window track such that the window has moved away from the latch?

The hook side maybe could be shimmed out closer to the hook.

If you find the parts are somehow damaged I would leave them out and take them with me to the builders center or hardware store and see if they have something the same or similar.

I would remove both parts to see if the hook or latch has been damaged. It could be they were never aligned correctly also.

Is there excessive play in the window track such that the window has moved away from the latch?

The hook side maybe could be shimmed out closer to the hook.

If you find the parts are somehow damaged I would leave them out and take them with me to the builders center or hardware store and see if they have something the same or similar.
Great suggestions; didn't even think about possibly shimming the keeper. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back