Shower Curb Size

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cogzoid

Reaction score
I'm am remodeling the bathroom completely from the joists up. So far I've redone the plumbing (converted to PEX) and I'm putting the floor back down.

I'm putting in a 30" x 54" shower (a standard size from the local glass/shower door supplier), but I'm trying to find out a key piece of info: where do I put down the curb? The curb will be ~4" wide. But, should the center line of the curb follow the 30" x 54" dimensions, or should it be the inside, or the outside of the curb? I know this seems like a silly question, but I couldn't get an answer from the sales person at the glass store. I need to talk to the installer, but I haven't been able to talk to him.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

You need to talk to the installer, the people that sell the glass should have the answer also.

You need to talk to the installer, the people that sell the glass should have the answer also.

Getting the installer on the phone, and hearing a clear answer from him isn't as easy as I'd hoped.

Go to their forum where you'll find lots of tile guys to answer that question. Honestly though, the answer to where you put the curb...under the door.
I would install it on the center line of the door. The top of the curb has to pitch slightly into the shower.

My worry was only if there is an end glass also if it is just the glass and door between to walls , I would put it center.

My worry was only if there is an end glass also if it is just the glass and door between to walls , I would put it center.

There is, in fact an end glass. We'll be making an L of glass to surround the shower, with tile on the wall as the other surface. What would you do differently, due to the end glass?

I would put the glass in the center of the curb and the center of the curb depends on the width of the glass for the end and the center of the end crub is at the length of the door and glass so you need to know the glass sizes ordered.

So the curb is installed separate onto the shower base? I don't think I have ever heard of this. Typically a shower base is comprised of 3 tile flanges, a curb, and a shower pan with the drain all in one piece. As for where you would mount the door. If your threshold is 4" wide I would recommend mounting the door towards the outside of the curb in order to give you more room in the shower. Make sure there is a slight slope toward the shower pan to ensure drainage to the inside of the shower.

So the curb is installed separate onto the shower base? I don't think I have ever heard of this. Typically a shower base is comprised of 3 tile flanges, a curb, and a shower pan with the drain all in one piece. As for where you would mount the door. If your threshold is 4" wide I would recommend mounting the door towards the outside of the curb in order to give you more room in the shower. Make sure there is a slight slope toward the shower pan to ensure drainage to the inside of the shower.

Welcome to the site nice to see a new sponsor that diggs in and trys to help out.

your curb should have bee installed when the pan was put down, the pan should wrap up and over the curb.

also, what product was used for the pan and walls? schleter?
green board sheet rock is water resistant not water proof

your curb should have bee installed when the pan was put down, the pan should wrap up and over the curb.

also, what product was used for the pan and walls? schleter?
green board sheet rock is water resistant not water proof

I am planning on installing a "goof proof" mortar/liner/mortar shower pan. I've got the pre-pitch ABS rails to make sure the pitch is correct under the liner, as well as the rails that make sure the pitch of the tiles is correct.

As for the walls, niche, etc., I'm using Hardibacker cement board with RedGard waterproofing. Of course, all of this is in the future still. I'm currently installing the fixtures in the walls. My house is 95 years old and the studs are only 2.5" thick, so I'm going to have to be clever on how I build out the wall a little further in the shower. I also had to move around a few studs so there's room for the fixtures.

I successfully moved the water heater outside (built a little shed for it and everything). It just so happens the best spot for it was right next to the bathroom, meaning I won't have to wait very long for the shower to get hot.

I'm putting in some fancy thermostatic shower controls, as well. This was the one area of the house I didn't want to cut corners. Of course, this would all go a lot faster if I wasn't doing everything myself.

For those with shower pan experience, how is it measured? Is the 54" x 30" dimensions the inside of the shower, or is that the distance from wall to curb? If I make my custom shower pan a standard size, I bet the shower curb will be in the right spot... Thanks!

As for your shower walls, you want to be absolutely sure they are perfectly plumb, completely flat and square. It makes for a better and easier tile job.

It's a 95 year old house. I have to work with what I have.

As for your shower walls, you want to be absolutely sure they are perfectly plumb, completely flat and square. It makes for a better and easier tile job.

It's a 95 year old house. I have to work with what I have.

dont mean to be a wise azz,:rofl: but NO, you dont have to work with what you have. the difference between a pro and a diy. is the pro. will shim, plane, fur out, or replace the studs to make the area square and plumb
a diy, will slap the rock on the wall and complain the tile is crooked
which guy are you? :D

do it right, when the walls are open, saves a lot of time later. trust me on this, i have screwed up before:2cents:

I'll definitely do the shimming and even some furring, as the walls have 2.5" studs, so I need to build them out for the shower fixtures, which are expecting 3.5" studs.

I realize that I haven't been asking my question clearly. I made some quick diagrams to help.

If I were to buy a standard 30" x 54" shower tub, where would those dimensions be measured from in the completed shower? Pick two letters:

20140929_102533.jpg

20140929_102638.jpg

If I make my shower base the same dimensions as if I had used a drop in shower pan, I will have no problems with the standard shower glass dimensions either. At least, that's my plan.

Thanks for all the help guys!

tubs are measured from stud to stud

a rough frame "tub hole" is 60 1/4" or 60 1/8
a tub from the factory is anywhere from 59 7/8--60 1/8
depending on finish they come 1n common size of 30" , 32", 36"

a one piece tub/shower is inserted into the hole then screwed to the walls
aftr it is leveled/plumbed they generally have a lip on them for the sheet rock/dura rock to attach to

Last edited:
Back