shower water temperature fluctuation problem

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i found another plumber who charges 95 dollars to show up and then 150 an hour to work. Told me job would take two hours so with cost of shower body, it would be like 550 (according to him) and then I'd bring someone else to patch up the wall after.

but i don't know, it seems when i ask contractors questions they get annoyed. i leave a message for details on how many tiles they'll have to break through so I know how many to buy and whether I have to schedule with super for water to be turned off or they do and they just don't respond. are those stupid questions to ask?

The question is. Can a plumber work in an oval hole 7" high and 12" wide hole cut in the wall. Perhaps you should start with a tile man to cut the hole.

shower trim.jpg

thanks again for the guidance neal. Let me ask you a question that may or not be dumb. Does shower body = shower valve = shower controls? I keep seeing different terms and don't know if they're all the same

Thanks again for everything Neal. Just want to run one final thing by you (and anyone else). Right now, I'm leaning towards going with someone who will replace the shower body and fix/tile the wall afterwards for 1400-1800 depending on whether he has to tear down the whole wall to replace the shower main line or not. Does that sound like a reasonable price?

What is the normal price for tearing down a wall and reconstructing and tiling it?

Anyway, I'm finally almost done with getting info/prices from everyone and soon will be done with it, thanks again

I dont think you quite understand what neal is saying.
You can replace any tile 2-3 valve shower valve with a single by cutting a hole in the tile wall with the dimensions neal listed above. This gives the plumber just enough room to replace the valve with a single. Then then plumber will install a crome cover plate that covers this hole up. There is no need for any tile repair. Here is a picture of the cover plate. They sell it at home depot for $25.
http://www.homedepot.com/Plumbing-B...splay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051

Call local plumbers and find one that will cut the hole(not that hard) and install the plate. Ask them this over the phone. They shouldnt need to come to your house. You should get a price over the phone.

Latest posts

Back