Swamp cooler motor disassembly

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raindem

Reaction score
The motor on my swamp cooler needs new bearings. Now I've disassembled small motors before, but this one has a 2-piece pulley that appears to be threaded on instead of pressed.

What is the trick to getting these pulleys off? I think once I get past the pulley I can get the rest of the motor far enough apart to swap bearings and check brushes.

Thanks

Curt

Here you go. Each half of the pulley has its own set screw (the inner one is not visible in the picture but it's there). There are a couple threads visible at the end of the shaft so I'm pretty sure the pulley threads on. But how in the world do you hold the shaft steady while threading it on or off?

Motor%20pulley.jpg

brand name, make and model please

Model # 020871440

You know, looking at this some more, maybe there is a threaded size adapter that is pressed onto the shaft? If so then the whole assembly should come off with a standard pulley removal tool.

Last edited:
I used a lot of swamp coolers & motors in years past . But it has been quite a while , so please forgive me for being a little slow and fuzzy .

The photo is of an adjustable pulley . By adjusting the 2 halves of the pulley in or out , it changes how " far down " the belt runs . This changes the effective diameter of the pulley . Which in turn changes the fan speed .

I never tried to repair a swamp cooler motor ( after the first try ) . And I never tried to re-use an existing pulley ( after the first try ) . They were too rusty / rusted to the shaft .

But here gos . Get a can pr PB Blaster or your favorite penetrating oil and give the pulley and motor shaft a good spray & then let it soak .

One set screw locks down the adjustment , no need to mess with that one . The other set screw locks the whole pulley down on the shaft . That is the one you need to loosen .

If and when you get it off the shaft , Clean any oil off the inside halves , where the belt runs / rides .

God bless
Wyr

The lower set screw is holding it on the shaft, turning the top half adjusts the tension of the belt.

Thanks Wyr & Neal. That makes sense. I loosened the inner set screw and was able to remove the pulley with a standard 3-jaw puller. Now to keep tearing into it until I get to those bearings.

Well I got the motor disassembled and it may not be the bearings after all. At the end of the shaft are a couple of thin wavy washers. One of them was broken into 3 pieces. Could that cause a loud knocking noise? What are those called?

Broken%20spring.jpg

Thanks as always

Curt

Hmmm, so they're called wave spring washers. I'll see if I can source some locally. That website has a minumum order of $100.

I am guessing they are thrust washers , to control end play ?

God bless
Wyr

Something like that. They preload the rear bearing. And let me tell you, the motor sure makes a racket without them. Today I went to Napa, Tractor Supply Co., Home Depot, Ace, and a small motor repair shop. No one had them. Have a couple more places to try tomorrow before I resort to online.

Last edited:
order them thru a local company. the local guy, together you both can meet the 100 dollar minimum

That's an idea. Hopefully it won't be necessary.

I stopped by a small motor repair place. The old-school kind with motors and junk laying all over the place. The guy pulled out a parts bin filled with wave spring washers of all sizes (unsorted of course). He sifted through them for a few minutes and found a match. Gave it to me. No charge. We'll see how it works today.

Back