T1-11 replacement / z flashing question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harkon

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I am new here an hoping to find some help.
I am fixing up my barn and learned how to replace rotten T1-11 and already did that step.

I was wondering if anyone knows what I should do to the INSIDE of the repaired wall. It is exposed so I can work from it from the inside if there are any steps to do. Like if I should do anything to the metal part under the TOP part of the remaining old T1-11 that was still in good shape.

But mostly my question is if I should caulk up the gap from the inside between the top edge of the BOTTOM piece and the metal flashing. I know that I need to keep a little gap between the top of the z flashing and the TOP part of the remaining T 1-11 that I did not replace. But how about the gap under the z flashing? Picture attached.

Thank you guys!

Attachments

• IMG_20221209_155727_01.jpg
    IMG_20221209_155727_01.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221209_160239_01.jpg
    IMG_20221209_160239_01.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Your work looks good. I wouldn't seal the crack in a barn with open walls on the inside.

Your work looks good. I wouldn't seal the crack in a barn with open walls on the inside.
Thank you bud!

I was planning to put insulation and drywall in it though, Would that change anything?
I already have the 2x4s in.
The gaps are not too big or so?

Thank you!

Last edited:
The only reason to do it is if you fear a wind driven rain forcing water up under the Z flashing or if you have worries of bugs working their way under the flashing.

Will you be heating or AC in the barn?

If i wanted to seal it for the above I would likely get the tape like used for sealing around windows before the siding is put on and tape the joint on the inside.

Others will be along with thoughts.

The only reason to do it is if you fear a wind driven rain forcing water up under the Z flashing or if you have worries of bugs working their way under the flashing.

Will you be heating or AC in the barn?

If i wanted to seal it for the above I would likely get the tape like used for sealing around windows before the siding is put on and tape the joint on the inside.

Others will be along with thoughts.
Thank you for your input, bud and thank you for answering so quick. I don't take that for granted!

Yeah, I am kinda converting the barn into a music room / workshop. And yes, the will be AC. Most likely just a window unit. I wanna put insulation and tna drywall over it.

"The only reason to do it is if you fear a wind driven rain forcing water up under the Z flashing or if you have worries of bugs working their way under the flashing."

Well, bot scenarios I would like to avoid haha :)

Take a look at the tapes. Not real cheap but they really stick and are tough.

Are you siding I've the outside or leaving it as is? I think I would caulk it if it will be left exposed but if you plan to put siding over it I would wrap the whole building in house wrap.

Are you siding I've the outside or leaving it as is? I think I would caulk it if it will be left exposed but if you plan to put siding over it I would wrap the whole building in house wrap.
Nah, the T1-11 is the siding. The bottom pieces where damaged, that why I replaced them using z flashing. I won't put anything over it. Just on the inside insulation and drywall. So I was wondering if if apply caulk anywhere from the backside (inside the barn) where that gap between bottom T1-11 piece and z flashing is exposed. I read that these gaps are important so water can dry off.

The above ideas to cover it with sealing tape sound pretty good to me.

Back