The "What did you do today thread"?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not that I am some kind of brain trust but viewing / rewriting reports was a major part of my former career. It is amazing how ( some ) of the new generation cannot accurately describe situations including important points that justify the means.
Like you said Rusty, ..... When I am on a subject my thoughts turn a hundred miles per hour checking outcomes, alternatives, and of course how to make the reviewer see situations from my point of view. The power of the written language is immense. Current educators place so little value on it . Cursive is almost dead, texting ( with no regard to spelling ) is in. Few have a traumatic issue writing a grammatically correct paragraph. Three months of the school year is waisted every year.

I agree that the new generation are practically useless. Sad part is that it is now taught that way and is acceptable.

Today I am doing major tune ups on a Wacker (Dirt Compactor) and an old Coleman Generator I have sitting in the shop. It would be nice to toss a small generator in the truck instead of my 6000 watt that takes two people to load.

Hey! I am a generation behind you and I am not an idiot. At least that's what my wife tells me. Heck I even dropped out of school in the tenth grade to go to work.

It's the teens and twentysomethigs I'm more worried about. Heck Chris, dropping out of school doesn't mean anything, I know a lot of highly educated people who are raving idiots....;)

I'm worried about them too. I can't find a laborer under 35 that is willing to work.

I'm worried about them too. I can't find a laborer under 35 that is willing to work.

That was why I finally started working by myself. They don't want to get dirty.

I hear you Chris, here at the Bowling Green, Ky FedEx terminal we can't keep delivery driver's under 35 because delivering packages is actually physical work.

Back in the mid 80s when the average wage was about $4 an hour, I was paying $10 hr for 32 hours a week. Three day weekend every week. No hard work and not even dirty work. Just carrying tools and bagging scraps. Most lasted a couple days.

Back in the mid 80s when the average wage was about $4 an hour, I was paying $10 hr for 32 hours a week. Three day weekend every week. No hard work and not even dirty work. Just carrying tools and bagging scraps. Most lasted a couple days.

Sounds like a sweet gig to me.

First my work van won't run. Then last night, the minivan I use for repairs quit. I think it needs a starter. Not sure I feel like changing it.

GFI 20 amp breaker popped and wouldn't reset. Replaced breaker and still popped. Removed load and it worked. Added one load at a time and it would pop. Discovered 110 v landscape lights were buried in dirt and were all muddy. Removed them and breaker still popped. Put everything together and found a raw hot line in a metal shield. Fixed that and now all works......8 hours later!

First my work van won't run. Then last night, the minivan I use for repairs quit. I think it needs a starter. Not sure I feel like changing it.

That sucks Rusty, been there, done that...usually when it rains, it pours.:(

Took two hours and unburied my work bench. Have no idea how everything got stacked, pushed aside, and lost all at the same time. Two bags of junk for the garbage, tools put away, bench wiped down and time for a break. Next some quality time with the John Deere cutting grass. That is always relaxing except for the diesel noise and having to wear hearing muffs.
Also finished welding & painting another small project.

View attachment IMG_4506.jpg

Got my work van purring like an old Ford today.

Just popping in to say "Hi". I've been trying to catch up on the thread. Rusty, I'm interested in reading your writing about immigration. My father was with INS for 30 years and continued to help some people with the paperwork after he retired.

I do know some people under 35 who work hard. My friend who was in the truck wreck in April is a hard worker. Before the accident he was willing to do a lot of hard manual labor. Now he physically can't do it anymore, but he does whatever he can. But I do see a trend with people wanting instant gratification and not wanting to work for things. And then we have the whole thing with "trigger warnings" and people becoming oversensitive.

Stingray, that is so cool!

On a side note, there was an opening at Pizza Hut and the manager finally decided to hire my brother. He gets paid $1 more than he did at his former workplace. His new pay is higher than the second highest paid person in his old workplace. He gets to work with his friends now. During the job interview, the manager told him "I can be an ***hole sometimes" and my brother said "You're adorable." The other coworkers were bugging the manager to hire him for quite awhile now. It's actually fulltime hours instead of part time so it will help. He actually took out some trash last week, which was shocking. But he hasn't done anything around the house since, so I've been trying to pick things up.

Mom was sick for awhile so I've been playing nurse maid.

I found out that my mother can get a 15% discount on her monthly cellphone bill if she gets her military dependent card renewed so I called a few places to find out what she needs to get it and am planning a trip up to Camp Beauregard to get it.

Not too much going on around here though.

Bent up a 17 x 20 medallion with eight corners and two initials. Splashed it in red paint. Tomorrow add the gold stripe and done.
Transplanted some three foot tall maple trees that grew adjacent to the drive. Helped clean the attached garage of accumulated junk.

Today I have woken up and am drinking coffe. About to go run a backhoe for eight hours pulling tree stumps.

Latest posts

Back