This window in a 50's brick house

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UtahGuy

Reaction score
Hello all, new poster here. I'm remodeling a bathroom and had to remove a window sill. When I got the sill and drywall off, I found this and I'm now over my head.

1691711216705.png

1691711986054.png

That's the worst of it, but it's like that all the way around. Obviously this window has to go, but what's the right way to replace it? And how do I weather seal it so I don't leave the same mess for the next guy?

Go pretty much the same size, and use spray-in insulation foam...
I thought about that. Those gaps are big enough that the foam will be visible from the outside, how do I finish that off? Another fat bead of caulk and call it good?

Make sure you use a "window" foam. It will be low expansion. The standard foam risks expanding so much that the window becomes tight.

When possible, I like to put painters tape on both sides of a caulk line, apply the caulk, tool with finger (one swipe), then remove tape.
Would give a nice straight line of caulk on the window, but not sure if that brick is a flat enough surface to apply tape to.
Remove the old caulk.

I would fir out the jambs to make it flush with the brick. Get an insert replacement window that is 3-1/4" thick and push the outer edge into the brick opening. Screw into place, foam and then caulk the perimeter.

Back