To put hooks on patio structure

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shiv

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to put yoga swing sling in my patio (link for the photo https://ibb.co/z8kBP8G). My question is if i put hooks there do you think it can withstand 250lbs (divide by 2 - hooks) & is it safe to drill in that structure. If I can put hooks to those columns what kind of hooks I need to get.

any advice is valuable and appreciate your time and help

- shiv

Can you take a picture where you are back a little further? Show column holding left end and what is above? It appears there is a beam in the area you point out with a second story sitting on the beam. If that is true, then another 250# load is not an issue. However, having said that, can you get to the beam itself and what is it made of ? You need to find hooks that are rated for the load. They need a tag that says they support 200# each. You could test drill a hole to see if you can get into solid wood or if there some kind of false frame around the beam that keeps you from getting to it. Answer those questions and don't just go buy hooks from cheap bin, then you are headed in the right direction.

I am sure more ideas will be coming along.

patio_structure.jpeg
Can you take a picture where you are back a little further? Show column holding left end and what is above? It appears there is a beam in the area you point out with a second story sitting on the beam. If that is true, then another 250# load is not an issue. However, having said that, can you get to the beam itself and what is it made of ? You need to find hooks that are rated for the load. They need a tag that says they support 200# each. You could test drill a hole to see if you can get into solid wood or if there some kind of false frame around the beam that keeps you from getting to it. Answer those questions and don't just go buy hooks from cheap bin, then you are headed in the right direction.

I am sure more ideas will be coming along.

Thanks Fireguy for your response. Here is the link https://ibb.co/R6ZxHxW on both side of the column.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK. Pretty much what I expected. You may find that the beam under the wrap is steel If that is the case you can drill and tap it for a threaded connection. Use a jam nut to hold everything tight. If it is wood use something with an aggressive lag thread. However it ends up, when you start using it inspect the hooks often to make sure they are secure. A sudden 30" fall to the floor can cause serious injuries obviously.

Latest posts

Back