Tornado Recovery

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks havasu. Gives me something to do while my hand heals.

That brings me to the current project. This is a punch list project rather than storm repair. I had always planned to do a frame & panel wall at the entry way to somewhat match the wall I did around the living room window. This is as far as I got before filleting my fingers on the table saw. I hope I can get back at it soon.

living room window interior done.jpg

Foyer 1.jpg

Foyer cnc3.jpg

Foyer cnc5.jpg

Foyer cnc6.jpg

Foyer cnc7.jpg

It's a 4'x8' ShopBot. I use it to cut architectural letters in my sign business. I also have files on much of the trim & cabinets in the house that I've cut on the CNC.
Aside from that I've cut a lot of suspension & other parts for a pro street camaro I'm was building, that project has been collecting dust the last few years. Too many projects, too little time.
It's a handy tool.

I'd love to have access to something like that but I'm afraid that it would cost more than a new car I need.

Wow Gary. Just Wow.

Thanks havasu and Angie. I've had a CNC (this is my second) for nearly 20 years, so over the years I've found many uses for it. It's so easy to just design a project on the computer and have the CNC cut it out. Everything fits perfectly and it's on file if a part ever has to be duplicated sometime down the road or I want to make another one.

It's been just a few days and I'm already going stir crazy, so I thought I'd post this little one day project I did late last summer. There were shrubs here that were damaged by the tornado, so I dug them out & replaced them with this privacy fence. I have a couple recycled plastic parking blocks that go on the concrete, a job I'll do when it gets a little warmer.

Privacy Fnece 2 (1 of 1).jpg

Privacy Fnece 1 (1 of 1).jpg

privacy fence 2 (1 of 1).jpg

Privacy fence 8.21.16.2.jpg

and this was just for fun. I used scrap PVC boards, shingles from the house & printed images of the house to wrap this bird house. Gave it a fictional house number & cut the top flat on what was once a nice shade tree.
We figured if the tree lives it lives. If not, at least we have a bird house post.

bird house 1.jpg

bird house 2.jpg

bird house 3.jpg

bird house 4.jpg

I think you may be right ...:trophy:

Ok, that tops the "very cool" projects for you!

Thanks havasu. It gets a few chuckles around here. When bad things happen, sometimes the best medicine is laughter.

You're right Neal. I've come to depend on it for any number of projects, even some work related stuff, lol.
I had the header all but done & couldn't resist installing it. 3 black headed Trim screws hold it on the posts. I buried them in amongst the foliage where they will never be spotted from the floor looking up.

By the time I finish trimming it out, the white vinyl frame will be pretty well covered up.

foywe wall1.jpg

foywe wall2.jpg

Last edited:
You can go either way. I stacked pre-written elements together to come up with something that fit the space. But, I've drawn them from scratch also. I just used stock files to save time for this job. 3D designs can get labor intensive. And, it took about 10 hours to cut this once it was in the machine. Imagine the 3/16" ball nose cutter going back & fourth over this area, with a 12% step over. That's a LOT of G code. All I had to do was go over it with a scotchbrite pad a little and it was ready for stain. You can go faster, but then you give up detail & finish.

It must have a substantial framework to hold it in place. I looked a little at one about 40 years ago, but you needed some very expensive computer at the time, so it was more of a walk by.

It's built on 2''x6'' C channel and thick wall 2''x2'' tubing. I got a second mortgage on the house at the time I bought my first 4'x4' CNC table. It more than paid for itself since it was a sign business purchase. It was a leap of faith at the time. Had it not been for that I wouldn't have one. But, when it's not making things for the business, it is fun to make stuff like this.

Latest posts

Back