Trump's Contract with America

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope all those actors that threatened to move to Canada if trump wins really do move

The Mexicans that work for me always say they will build the wall as long as they can stay when itis done. They are also against Illegal immigration.

The Mexicans that work for me always say they will build the wall as long as they can stay when itis done. They are also against Illegal immigration.

Are all of your Hispanic workers documented and do you only hire Hispanics?

Being a project manager for a roofing company I have to ask, why does this matter? As a nation we have border security to protect us from foreign invaders, we have police departments that enforce our laws and lots off 3 letter agencies that provide security. Banks lend money to these folks, Western Union provides a pathway for transfer of funds out of country, apartment buildings rent to them, car lots sell them cars, grocery stores sell them food and sundry items, gas stations sell them gas, yet somehow as employers we have to verify that they are here legally. Yet somehow, it's politically correct to hold the employer responsible for vetting workers. Not in my job description to provide national security.

We have some foreign workers, are they legal? I don't know, they have drivers license. They pass drug tests. They show up each day. They work hard. They make more money than their typical homegrown counter part. Cheap labor? Hardly, they make better wages, work harder and are easier to train than most who apply.

Being a project manager for a roofing company I have to ask, why does this matter?

As a nation we have border security to protect us from foreign invaders,

Wrong, as they have been instructed not to enforce the law.

...we have police departments that enforce our laws and lots off 3 letter agencies that provide security.
Wrong as again they have been instructed not to enforce illegals entering or living within the country.

Banks lend money to these folks, Western Union provides a pathway for transfer of funds out of country, apartment buildings rent to them, car lots sell them cars, grocery stores sell them food and sundry items, gas stations sell them gas,

yet somehow as employers we have to verify that they are here legally. Yet somehow, it's politically correct to hold the employer responsible for vetting workers. Not in my job description to provide national security
What they do is deemed legal. They are there to make money, same as you. How you go about it is a measure of character.

And, according to current written law, you are. But is not enforced so why be concerned?

And BTW, it is in every Americans interest to abide by and help enforce the laws of the land. You don't agree with written law? Lobby to have it changed.

We have some foreign workers, are they legal? I don't know, they have drivers license. They pass drug tests. They show up each day. They work hard. They make more money than their typical homegrown counter part. Cheap labor? Hardly, they make better wages, work harder and are easier to train than most who apply
So in essence, you are saying you are complying with wage, labor and comp law fully? How are you able to comply with the UN-AFFORDABLE CARE ACT, mark them off as casual labor?

The truth is that this country has become a third world banana republic, and it was allowed by the citizenry, much of it not knowing what a democracy is.

My children and grandchildren will not be able to enjoy what I have enjoyed. The American dream is gone.

Oh, I agree whole heartily. The American Dream is but a memory.

In construction, a lot of workers are sub-contractors to companies. We 1099 them and require proof of work comp and G/L insurance. The cold hard facts are that we cannot find your typical male that will show up, pass a drug test and stay out of jail. It's not we cheap labor, 5 guys split 5k for 2 days work this week to do a tear off, re-deck and re-roof. Good money for labor. Take the Hispanics out of the labor force and this country would fall to it's knees. I don't like it, I hate it, it's just the facts.

Now, who has instructed these agencies to not enforce law? Hold them accountable. You can open a door or close the door, if you want a breeze and no flies, put a screen in the door. Same thing can be done for border security. Put a process in place where they can come and work, pay taxes, if they don't have work, they leave.

I've talked to contractors all across the US at regional seminars. The common concern among a lot of them is available work force. It's not just roofing, I hear it form HVAC, electricians and plumbers.

What we are leaving to our future generations is a sin! It just irritates me that the agencies that are charged to keep us safe ignore their responsibilities and make it look like greedy contractors are bringing in cheap labor to put Americans out of jobs.

What I've learned from being around them over the years is a lot of them are good folks who only want to take care of their families and elevate themselves above the cesspool they came from.

The truth is that this country has become a third world banana republic, and it was allowed by the citizenry, much of it not knowing what a democracy is.

On this we disagree, blame falls squarely on the shoulders of our elected officials and their quest to broaden their voter base.

, much of it not knowing what a democracy is.

I live in a republic society not a democratic society

I always check there social security card and DL

if they did not have both, I will not hire them, AND I do not care what you look like, no dl or ssan no job

Last edited:

All my employees have social security numbers and California ID's. They are all on my work comp and all pay payroll taxes. I do absolutely nothing shady when it comes to business and that is what has hurt me the most. We make a very small percentage of profit because I am more legal than most companies.

The majority of my field employees are mexican but I will hire anyone willing to work hard. My cheapest guy makes over twenty dollars an hour. Like Oldog said it is nearly impossible to find hard working willing to learn Americans to do the job. I go through about 20-30 guys a year trying to find young Americans to work. Almost every single one comes in with little to no experience and within a month they all think they are way under paid and then they do not want to work the shovel, they want to be the equipment operator or the foreman or anyone that doesn't have to work a shovel. After that it is just laziness and the entitled feeling. My youngest worker is me at 37 years old. and my oldest employee is an 80 year old retired banker that does my office book keeping.

How do you employers actually verify their Social Security Cards?

As a law enforcement officer, nearly half of the cards that were presented to us were fraudulent. Even more of a concern was even law enforcement officers were unable to verify with any state or federal agency to confirm that these cards were real.

Give me 10 minutes and a quick 5 mile trip, and I will get you any Social Security Card with any name you want on it.

And now for a Saturday morning smile...

14581373_574844416044895_46659271778461543_n.jpg

Usually if a fake comes across I will know within a few months with letters from the IRS of names not matching. Other than that we could probably pay for a background check but as an employer I don't go that far. I am doing what I am supposed to by getting copies and submitting numbers. After that I rely on my government to do their job

Latest posts

Back