Twisted Joist

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can try to get more shots once I'm home. The house may actually be older, records were lost after the Great Baltimore Fire, so everything built 1900 and earlier is just listed as "1900." It's an old brick rowhome, the exterior is brick with stucco on top. The joist to the right is the joist that runs along the stairway to the basement in the center of the house. Anything in particular that makes you think it looks not so good? Something a novice such as myself can address, or do you think I need someone to have a look at it? Thanks!

Can you get to the room below those joists, if you can, just push up on them and see if they move.

While all those assumption may prove to be true, along with the discoloration of the underside of the floor sheating lends to the presumption of waters deteriorating effect.

Someone needs to crawl into and investigate.

;)Yes a lot of what I wrote is assumption.
But we have to look at cause and effect and related problems.

So the question was a soft floor with some facts about water leaking.
When the OP looked down stairs, he found a twisted joists.
As you pointed out, it may have been like that for a long time, so what has changed.
With the big crack along the floor molding upstairs I have to assume there is a problem with more than one floor joists.

I could be proven wrong but the key is proof.

I just think if I or you or Butch showed up to look at this we would not stop at the floor joist and figure just how to fix what we can see.
With our experience we all would spend five minutes and try to figure out what is causing the problem and any time the word water comes up, we want to investigate for mold.

The OP has to be our eyes and sometimes it takes patience to get the right answers when the OP is being confused by other DIYers giving suggestions for a quick fix.
I just think the pros have to ask enough questions and get the answers so they can get that five minute evaluation done.

And it is true , we do make assumptions and when we dig into jobs we do find things sometimes less and sometimes more than what we thought.

;)Yes a lot of what I wrote is assumption.
But we have to look at cause and effect and related problems.

So the question was a soft floor with some facts about water leaking.
When the OP looked down stairs, he found a twisted joists.
As you pointed out, it may have been like that for a long time, so what has changed.
With the big crack along the floor molding upstairs I have to assume there is a problem with more than one floor joists.

I could be proven wrong but the key is proof.

I just think if I or you or Butch showed up to look at this we would not stop at the floor joist and figure just how to fix what we can see.
With our experience we all would spend five minutes and try to figure out what is causing the problem and any time the word water comes up, we want to investigate for mold.

The OP has to be our eyes and sometimes it takes patience to get the right answers when the OP is being confused by other DIYers giving suggestions for a quick fix.
I just think the pros have to ask enough questions and get the answers so they can get that five minute evaluation done.

And it is true , we do make assumptions and when we dig into jobs we do find things sometimes less and sometimes more than what we thought.

Until the OP actually gets someone to invite him under the house and takes a little time to explain to him, how it works, gives an estimate detailing the repairs, all we can do is speculate.

When he has a better Idea of the conditions, then we can expound on some additional advice in preserving the integrity of the dwelling, going forward.

At this point it's, if the dog hadn't stopped to ----, he may have caught the rabbit.

Until the OP actually gets someone to invite him under the house and takes a little time to explain to him, how it works, gives an estimate detailing the repairs, all we can do is speculate.

When he has a better Idea of the conditions, then we can expound on some additional advice in preserving the integrity of the dwelling, going forward.

At this point it's, if the dog hadn't stopped to ----, he may have caught the rabbit.

I think you are still missing the point.
This a DIY site where the OPs come and ask for advice, that can't be get a pro to look at it every time. Maybe some times that is the answer but seldom.

If you went to look at this house and went first to the floor in the first question and then went and stuck your head in the joists and seen the twisted one, What would you do next? And why didn't you tell the OP to do that.

the house probably is that old because the lumber looks to be true 2"x 10". the walls from what i can tell look like plaster ,also i noticed the old galvanized pipe under the house first i would take any screws and hangers holding the pipe to the joist loose ,then measure at the top in between the 2 joists and cuts several 2x10 blocks that measurement and if you have any help take about a 24" 2X4 block and screw it to the joist you want to straighten and let someone pull on it while the block is drove in and continue this for 3 or 4 2x10 blocks after you get it as straight as you can, put some blocks in the opposite bay just to prevent bowing again .give this a try and talk someone in to helping you and it shouldn't take to long .good luck .butch23

I do not want to discourage you or Snoonyb from posting here, your experience is valuable and may be different than others, I would just encourage you to ask more questions.

I would much sooner see 2 or 3 people with experience asking questions and discuss the best practice for repairs.

So with that said :welcome: to the site.

This is a DIY site and our mission is to help homeowners find viable solutions to issues that they may experience and give them the confidence to accomplish projects. We are also here to educate folks on proper installations when dealing with contractors so they can make informed and wise decisions when choosing who's going to work on their property.

We all have different life and work experiences and approach problems from different perspectives. Let's remember we are here to help others, not argue among ourselves.

With this in mind we appreciate all who participate and share their time and knowledge at House Repair Talk!

I think you are still missing the point.
This a DIY site where the OPs come and ask for advice, that can't be get a pro to look at it every time. Maybe some times that is the answer but seldom.

I understand that perfectly.

What I do not wish to indulge in, is a 15 or 20 page recital engaging an OP, who already said that he has limited knowledge in repair experience and ability. Who has already pondered the wisdom, because of that lack of experience, the wisdom in contacting a professional for an opinion, based upon conditions he is unable to accurately represent too us.

He has also asked if the repairs need to be accomplished sooner than later, which may imply that cost could be a concern.

He also appears to have a day job and would be indulging the speculation in the evenings.

The OP obtaining an opinion from a local contractor and then sharing that here can shorten the speculation by pages, allowing the specifics to be addressed.

If you went to look at this house and went first to the floor in the first question

I would make a mental note of it, note the separation, orientate the location of that wall in relation to the basement stairwell, don my coveralls, invite the owner to accompany me, locate the area of the wall, site down the floor joists, (if they are parallel), inspect the interior bearing point, then the perimeter bearing and probe both with an awl, all the while explaining my actions and what I had found.

and then went and stuck your head in the joists and seen the twisted one, What would you do next? And why didn't you tell the OP to do that.

The only other action I would take, other than what I previously posted, would be to ascertain the viability of the perimeter sil.

This your first post to the thread

Interesting bridge blocking.

Is there any discoloration on the rim joist that would indicate this is a resent event?

Because the dia. dimension of the joist twisted could be reflected in s slight lifting of the floor, are you sure there is a sag, and not a slight lift?

It appears to me that because there is no obvious signs of nails where the joist has deflected, the deflection may be the result of that row of nails having been missed.

I'd just cut a couple of 2X blocks, reflective of the deflection and place them between the deflected joist and the next joist where the dimension at the top of the joist are the narrowest.

How does this fit with your last post.

I'd just cut a couple of 2X blocks, reflective of the deflection and place them between the deflected joist and the next joist where the dimension at the top of the joist are the narrowest.[/COLOR][/I][/B]

How does this fit with your last post.

You ask what I would do, and that's it.

Hi all- Lively discussion since last I visited! I was able to look a little closer based on your responses, it appears that the joists are supposed to be sitting in joist pockets in the brick, and every joist in the house is properly seated in a joist pocket except the one in question. Does that mean that the wood on the end of that joist has rotted out? Any thoughts on what type of action should be taken here? I've attached a closer up image of the damaged joist as well as an image of one of the other joists in the house that aren't damaged. Thanks again for all your help! At the very least, if I have to bring someone in, I'll be more knowledgeable as I discuss the issue.

IMG_1034.JPG

IMG_1032.JPG

IMG_1031.JPG

The joist will have to fixed or replaced but you do have a moisture problem that should be looked after sooner than later, as you could have mold issue.
The ceiling in that area should be pulled down and inspected for mold, perhaps by a pro. Then all the wood in that area needs to be inspected for rot, including the sub floor.

Hi all- Lively discussion since last I visited! I was able to look a little closer based on your responses, it appears that the joists are supposed to be sitting in joist pockets in the brick, and every joist in the house is properly seated in a joist pocket except the one in question. Does that mean that the wood on the end of that joist has rotted out? Any thoughts on what type of action should be taken here? I've attached a closer up image of the damaged joist as well as an image of one of the other joists in the house that aren't damaged. Thanks again for all your help! At the very least, if I have to bring someone in, I'll be more knowledgeable as I discuss the issue.

Thanks, that's better.

Is this joist under, in the relative proximity, of the wall with the crack?

The staining un the underside of the floor sheating and the top of the joist are indicators of water intrusion.

Can you take a picture of the other direction of the joist travel so we can see the next support point?

Thanks, that's better.

Is this joist under, in the relative proximity, of the wall with the crack?

The staining un the underside of the floor sheating and the top of the joist are indicators of water intrusion.

Can you take a picture of the other direction of the joist travel so we can see the next support point?

It is, the crack should be directly above the area of this joist, running off to the left from there. Attached are shots of the next two joists over, which would sit near the crack in the wall. This is also right under where water used to pool in the alleyway until we redirected the gutters to run out of the alleyway and into the back yard at the request of the next door neighbor as a part of the sale of their house. I felt the area all around the affected joist, and it feels totally dry, so I'm hoping the water intrusion issue is resolved? I'll have to check after the next rainstorm as well.

IMG_1038.JPG

IMG_1037.JPG

IMG_1036.JPG

It is, the crack should be directly above the area of this joist, running off to the left from there. Attached are shots of the next two joists over, which would sit near the crack in the wall. This is also right under where water used to pool in the alleyway until we redirected the gutters to run out of the alleyway and into the back yard at the request of the next door neighbor as a part of the sale of their house. I felt the area all around the affected joist, and it feels totally dry, so I'm hoping the water intrusion issue is resolved? I'll have to check after the next rainstorm as well.

Thanks again; How are you coming with a picture of the twisted joist, in the other direction?

Sorry, misunderstood what you were looking for. Here it is. The twisted joist is in the center of the photo, the one running along the edge of the photo is the joist that runs along the stairwell.

IMG_1039.JPG

Sorry, misunderstood what you were looking for. Here it is. The twisted joist is in the center of the photo, the one running along the edge of the photo is the joist that runs along the stairwell.

Thanks; On the other side of the twisted joist, between the twisted joist and the stairwell double joist, can you see what appears to be the end of a joist near the masonry wall?

If not, can you tell by looking on the other side of the masonry wall where the next bearing point for the joist is?

How thick is the masonry wall that the twisted joist is crossing over?

Hi guys! Thought I'd just give an update on this. I ended up getting a contractor to come look at the issue, he cut away the rotted wood, took down the closet that sat below these joists that I wasn't using to begin with, and sistered the joists that were damaged. So far, so good. In terms of cause, everything and has remained dry. It did not appear that it would be caused by the pooling in the alleyway in his estimation, he thinks it was likely due to discharge from a floorstanding A/C over the summer, though couldn't be sure. Hopefully no more issues! Thanks so much for your guidance, it helped me sound more informed while I spoke with the contractor, and helped me reach the decision to involve a professional. Attached is a photo of the repair.

IMG_1047.JPG

Latest posts

Back