Water leaked through kitchen light downstairs but anymore?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jattd373

Reaction score
Hello,

Last week, while someone was showering in the upstairs bathroom, a quite fast stream of water start to leak through one of my kitchen lights downstairs. We right away stopped running the water in the tub and leakage stopped eventually after like a half bucket of water. Here's the interesting part, we had a plumber come in and when he tried to re-create the problem while turning on the same tub water, now suddenly there is no leakage in the light downstairs? What is going on here? We guessed maybe water is seeping into the ceiling but there are no signs of discoloration or damage to the ceiling. Has anyone else come across this same mysterious problem? What should the next steps be if any?

Thank you in advance.

Welcome.
Does the tub have a door or curtain?

Thanks. was there any water on the floor during this escapade?

Thanks. Are the tub and surrounds 1 piece, or tub with three piece surrounds?

Spell check and google speak, are having a field day.

No it isn't.
Bathing facilities are available in several configurations.
Some examples are;
1. A stand alone tub, for immersed bathing.
2. A tub with surrounds, with or without a shower.
a. A single tub & surrounds, as a 1 piece unit.
b. A single tub with a 1 piece, 3 sided encompassing surrounds.
c. A single tub with a 3 piece surrounds

My daughter had the same issue. It was a problem with the diverter on the tub spout in an upstairs bath and water was blowing back into the wall.

No it isn't.
Bathing facilities are available in several configurations.
Some examples are;
1. A stand alone tub, for immersed bathing.
2. A tub with surrounds, with or without a shower.
a. A single tub & surrounds, as a 1 piece unit.
b. A single tub with a 1 piece, 3 sided encompassing surrounds.
c. A single tub with a 3 piece surrounds

This bathtub consists of a head-top fixed shower and a tap at the bottom for bucket fill. Three sides of the bathtub are with walls and the fourth side has a glass sliding door to get in and out. I hope that helps you clarify what kind of bathtub it is.

This bathtub is still being used regularly but there is no leakage in the light fixture now, this is what confuses me still because there's no way a water leakage problem could just get fixed on its own. Why is it not leaking now and everything seems normal? What happened differently at the time of the incident? I am just waiting to happen again so I can record it this time and call a plumber.

Anything else would help!!

Last week, while someone was showering in the upstairs bathroom, a quite fast stream of water start to leak through one of my kitchen lights downstairs. We right away stopped running the water in the tub and leakage stopped eventually after like a half bucket of water. Here's the interesting part, we had a plumber come in and when he tried to re-create the problem while turning on the same tub water, now suddenly there is no leakage in the light downstairs? What is going on here?
Something may be catching the water/piling up on top of ceiling and it evaporates... until a long enough shower is taken that it also leaks down through the light...
I'm having a similar problem... sometimes light colored scummy looking little spots appear on my kitchen range top and pots/pans lids... it's right under the soil pipe for an up stairs bathroom sink... I'm suspecting the penetration of the rusty iron soil pipe through the rubber roof seal is seeping a little water during heavy rains... I need to get up there and seal it better with some silicon rubber caulk...
The price of my usual Dap and GE Silicone 1 caulks has jumped way up so I tried lower priced new Lightning brand caulk and it seems better quality, sticks to things better, stays stuck longer, and pretty much cures in a couple hours... I also use it to patch punctures in tires from the inside of tire and repair damaged tire beads.
GE Silicone Rubber 2 caulk is OK for things where you don't mind it taking 50 years to cure firm... LOL !

Well, my next, probability, is that in shoring, the water is being deflected to an, unbeknownst, caulking break where the tub surrounds meet the tub, which may not be a regular occurrence.

Latest posts

Back