What are all of the methods for measuring ground water levels?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmr106

Reaction score
Just wondering what all of the options are for the average Joe.

In the past, Neal and I have discussed a means of using a PVC pipe with markings that was somehow in the ground or in an open hole in the ground or something like that.

I have read where some people say to just dig a hole x feet deep and wait to see where the water level comes up to and if the water sinks into the dirt after it stops raining.

Are there any other do-it-yourself methods to determine ground water levels? I highly suspect a possible raise in ground water levels at various times of the year. Sometimes with inches of rain and sometimes with an inch or less of rain over just a day or two. What's my best bet to see if this is the case? I have a particular spot in mind and I'm talking about 3 feet or so underground, so not very deep.

Last edited:
That's all there is to it, bore a hole with a post hole digger and cover up, remove cover and peek in to check water level.
Water levels are alway going to be changing over a years time and weather conditions.

Latest posts

Back