What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I have a history of skin cancer I went in for my yearly checkup and got a clean bill of health. Back in my younger days of home construction, no shirt was the norm, paying for it now. :nono: Good thing to do for anybody that spent time in the sun in the past.

Since I have a history of skin cancer I went in for my yearly checkup and got a clean bill of health. Back in my younger days of home construction, no shirt was the norm, paying for it now. :nono: Good thing to do for anybody that spent time in the sun in the past.

First of November I did the chemo creme treatment on my face, it was a bitch. Sunscreen and hats and avoid the treatment.....

None of us had any idea as kids. I was sunburned half the summer as a kid. Have had two taken off so far both luckily were basal cell. Hollys cousin died a year ago at 35 from Melanoma. Get checked out once a year nothing to mess around with and you young guys shirts and hats always.

Went to the home and garden show yesterday in Cleveland, 12 hour round trip from home 6 hours on my feet walking. Way more than you can take in for a day. It was 2 years ago that I have went over for it and the biggest change that stood out most of the builders at least at the show are now Amish or Mennonite business in that area.

One young guy non Amish had a business building garages and for his display he framed in a garage about 20x20 no doors or windows or siding no roof. I’m sure to save money he just used as little wood as he could and just tacked it together to look like a garage and he could use the wood over after the show. Across from him the Amish built a 2 story barn. Had a tractor parked in it lights and windows and the second floor filled with bales. The guy with the stick built asked if I needed a garage and I said I could always use another garage but didn’t know about his. He asked why and I said well you only have 2x6 rafters on 48 centers and no ceiling joists or collar ties I didn’t think his building would take much snow load. I pointed to the Amish barn and said now that will take some weight. He said I know and stared telling me his building is not supposed to be a building.

One guy came up after I had already seen 50 different booths of selling gutter leaf guards. Asking if I needed leaf protection. I told him dang you are the first guy I saw selling them here. He said really? I said no not really every 4th booth is selling them. Talk about competition and everyone was top price.

Nothing really stood out as cutting edge new stuff though.

They are pretty quiet, you can have a conversation a couple feet away and it wont annoy you. I think the Ryobi is slightly quieter. They are both rated about the same, the honda is a little heavier and the Ryobi has a handle and a set of wheels which is nice. The honda is a Honda so that is nice. Not sure which will last longer? The Ryobi is much less expensive if you are buying new. Also the Honda is smaller so if space is a problem. Other than that they look to have all the same features.

I used to practically live in the swimming pool during the summer when I was a kid. My hair was almost green from the chlorine and I was fairly tan. Now I can't even be in direct sunlight for any length of time.

Today I drank a gallon of water and had an ultrasound done to see if I have any tumors or abnormalities in my lower abdomen. My mother made it sound like it was going to be horribly painful (but she has a low pain tolerance). It didn't hurt at all. But man, my body is taking awhile to process all of this water and expel it.

On the way up, we passed someone in a Silver Ridgeline. After the appointment we went to eat and saw the same Ridgeline at the place we were eating. They were waiting in the car (since the place was not yet open-- we were a few minutes early). I told the driver "Nice truck!" and we talked a little about our favorite features. He told me that he had really wanted a white one (which is what we have) and I mentioned that I'd wanted a silver one. And I found out that there is a remedy for the airbag recall on the '07s.

It was my baby brother's 37th birthday but he had to go to work. I had some errands to run. My friend who had the house fire was over at the burned house cleaning up inside. I brought a broom for him and helped sweep a little. Then I had to go to the pharmacy to get my mother's insulin. I picked up a prybar and some dust masks and gave them to him for tomorrow's work.

I got a cake for my brother and took it to his work. Some friends of his showed up and I made some new friends. When there were no other customers they synced a phone to a bluethooth speaker and played the "Dick In A Box" song and danced to it (using pizza boxes as props) to entertain my brother.

There was a bit of a downer when we had some extremely rude customers come in-- ordered the waitress to tell us to STFU, threw pepperoni all over the floor, took the caps off of the condiments and spilled stuff-- cross contaminating the jars-- and then didn't even tip. The waitress (who is also our friend) said that they never tip. But she got some cake and felt better.

I was talking to one of the friends about our mutual friend's house and he remembered that his father just tore down his old house and there is a lot of good lumber, roofing, and some windows that can be re-used. Said that he needs to have it all hauled off and that our friend could have it for free if we come get it. It's enough stuff to re-build his porch to the way it was before the tree fell on it. And he has some friends who can help him haul our old hot tub over there and build the porch around it. It's just sitting in our yard going to waste.

I went to Lake Charles to pick up a recliner Mom wanted. It's got two USB ports and a 3prong power outlet inside the arm so we can plug in a phone and charge devices. Both arms have storage. Had a bit of shopping hell with the mothership (she goes around in the riding cart and I have to follow her and hope she will decide she's done so we can get our stuff and get out).
We ate at Olive Garden (which reminds me that I have leftovers-- I got 5 cheese backed Ziti).
Stopped by to check on my friend to see the progress on his house. He already had a new front door from the other friend's house. They took out an unstable wall and pulled out all the burned up cabinets. Hopefully the windows will fit-- although, my friend will just re-frame them if they don't.

I cleaned up more when I got home and my friend came over with his helpers to help me move the old recliner to another room and move the new recliner in. Friend even plugged it in for me. I gave them some starbucks mocha coffees and one of them got an old computer chair we weren't using anymore as a thank you.

There was a slight problem when I sat in the chair and the back came halfway off. I admit I had a bit of a tiff over it and stubbed my toe while kicking something in frustration. Then I googled how to take the recliner back off (friends had put it on for me since it came in 2 pieces). I realized I was looking in the wrong place for the connection so I tipped it over on it's front and pulled up the flap at the back to see what was wrong. Took my largest flathead and pried one of the bracket retainers open to slide it up and then got both brackets sliding over evenly and got it all locked in to place.

I'm going to do some more cleaning today. And I'm trying to figure out if the heating element in my dryer is just dead or if it is the "home wiring". If its the heating element, I found the part I will need online for around $50.

I also created some custom content eye colors for Sims 4 while waiting for my body to catch up with my brain in wakefulness.

This Medroxypr estrogen stuff has really been helping. I have a little more energy and am able to focus a more.

Oh, this is a catalog pic of the recliner:
tumblr_ol81qzXHgg1qhfuqwo1_400.jpg

It has good lumbar support and sinks down at tailbone level so it doesn't push up and cause pain.

Last edited:
It's great when you find a comfy chair that works for your back problems. Mine are such that I can't sit on soft home furniture for long, all I can stand are hard-backed and hard-bottomed kitchen-type chairs. They make my bottom-side hurt but it's tolerable compared to having back pain. Some car seats work for me and some don't but I haven't yet reached the redneck low of putting in a car seat in my living room. I must admit I've thought about that though!

Always keep moving forward even if it's at a snails pace. Progress is still progress whether it's fast or slow.

Phil

It's great when you find a comfy chair that works for your back problems. Mine are such that I can't sit on soft home furniture for long, all I can stand are hard-backed and hard-bottomed kitchen-type chairs. They make my bottom-side hurt but it's tolerable compared to having back pain. Some car seats work for me and some don't but I haven't yet reached the redneck low of putting in a car seat in my living room. I must admit I've thought about that though!

Always keep moving forward even if it's at a snails pace. Progress is still progress whether it's fast or slow.

Phil

I use a jell filled seat cushion from walgreens around $30.00

I have back problems also and can 100% relate to you

Lol, sorry but even that is a bit beyond my tastes even though it is well done.

People think I'm nuts, but I have a bucket seat taken from a 1974 Dodge Dart that I have been installed in 3 different vehicles so far and it will go into my current one this spring. It is perfect for my back and though it needs (and has) a seat cover it is still in great shape for it's age. I can live with the seat I have for now but it is marginal for really long drives. Since those are rare for me I can manage till spring.

Now if I could only find another back brace which worked equally well. That one is long out of production and mine is getting just a bit frayed. I don't need or use it much, but when I do need it there's nothing quite like this one and I've tried all the similar ones I can find. As long as I can keep this one sewn together I'll manage. With luck it might last the rest of my working life and then hopefully I wont need it anymore.

Phil

Picked up a tent trailer for my sister and spent the weekend cleaning it and making sure everything worked and resealing the roof then got all the lights working properly. Finished it up and she took it home. Then I went out and finally put new leaf springs on my jeep and cleaned the mouse poop out of it and put the soft top on. Drives much better now.

I realized how much I hate working in a gravel driveway. Everytime I drop a screw it takes me 20 minutes and a magnet to find it.

View attachment 1486959594640.jpg

View attachment 1486959605351.jpg

View attachment 1486959623072.jpg

Hey Chris. My son found a company that sells newly built hardtops in San Diego. It comes ready to mount with windows, weatherstripping, and positive latches. He got one for the new TJ on Saturday for $1k. Far cheaper than a replacement soft top for $650.

I have a hard top and full doors. I don't like wheeling with them so I only use them in hunting season. I got rid of my soft top a few years ago and just run multiple safari top which is just a longer bikini top. This soft top I have now is a rampage which is frame less, it uses my roll bars for the frame.

We tried installing the Rampage frameless top on that TJ jeep last week. Keep in mind it was a cold day, which I reminded my son was not a good idea. There was no stretch at all and we ripped it in 3 places trying to secure it. Worst instructions ever. it was taken back for a full refund. This build will be for my grandson, so being secure while driving to school is more important than soft top freedom.

Hard tops are nice. For many reasons. I am just scared of breaking mine when I tip it over. That and I don't like the full doors being a big guy I feel cramped. My rampage is the same way, I got it up there but I can't get it all on, I am gonna leave it in the sun and see if I can stretch it. I added a few bars to my cage so I'm not sure if I will get the back window in.

Latest posts

Back