What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was shooting all over the place, seeing what the camera would do. I'd had it about 2 hours at the time I took these.
I shot photo #2 at 1/3200.
Here's a blow up of that shot. You can see it pretty much stopped the beed lock bolts on the rear wheel, and this is about 1/2 track, probably in the neighborhood of 250MPH at that point.

NHRA Rt66 2017 42.jpg

Today I am on day 4 and hour 46 on getting a rental back on the market. I don't know how people can live like this place was left.

Today was a joy trying to work with a 105 deg. heat index, mowed and wacked 3 yard then went to a big job I'm working on that looks like no one has lived in the house for 30 years.
The back yard was covered with trees so there was shade but there's also 10' high bamboo that I have to plow through with my DR Field and Brush mower.
I ran into concrete blocks, dozens of clay plant pots, bird baths, a night stand, rolls of wire.
Then I ran over an old rotted stump that housed a yellow jacket nest and got stung about 20 times.
I sprayed it down with wasp killer and started on the other side of the yard and ran into another nest and got stung again from head to toe.
God was trying to tell me something so I gave up and went home.

Been busy driving people places. Friend's gf needed a lift to a doctor's appointment. Ran in to a few of her co-workers at the office. Met one who is a friend of my brother's and who wants to get the same kind of truck we have. Showed him the trunk and the features.

Leads have gone cold on the chick who robbed my other friend-- cops didn't even try to look for her. She's probably left the state by now. I surprised my friend by giving him a 4TB hard drive. Poor kid was speechless. I thought he was going to cry for a moment and then he gave me a big hug and thanked me. I also gave him some food because I know he couldn't afford any. Not only did he get robbed, but McDonalds decided to short most of the employees by an entire week of their paychecks. So, he only got half of what he was expecting and they told him they won't pay it until next paycheck (in two weeks). Don't know how they can get away with that crap. And they don't let employees eat the food that gets messed up that is supposed to be thrown out. They have to throw out all the leftovers or mistakes or they get fired. So, even though he works at a food place, he can't bring stuff home and it just gets wasted. He's only 21 so hopefully he'll be able to move up and find a better job though.

The weather here has alternated between being suffocatingly hot with high humidity and raining (which only makes it cooler bc of the clouds).

This morning I took my cat to the vet for her monthly shots & when I got back home and parked, my red dog for some reason sat right next to the tire before I took my foot off the brake (after putting it in park). Next thing I know the dog is yelping up a storm. I got out to go see what the situation was and the tire had rolled back on her tail. I had to get back in and pull forward a couple inches. Fortunately it was just the edge so it only pinched and she was fine afterward. She's not the brightest dog in the world.

Just got back from a weekend at Keystone Raceway in Adrian PA. Got a bunch of cool shots from the wall at the starting line. Time to hit the hay now though, early day tomorrow.

Gary, I live about 15 minutes from firebird raceway in eagle, idaho. Still haven't made it out there yet but I hope I get a chance this summer.

I just got home from the mountains, tied a house into the sewer and abandoned the septic. Neighbors let me borrow their cabin on the lake, was a good time.

I think the wire was too thick. Truck had 350,000 miles on it and almost ten years old when it went out. It was a work truck since day one and who knows how many thousands of times the door was opened. Or they pulled the wires too tight. It was about an 8 gauge wire.

10 wires all broken or damaged in two more places, 20 soldered splices in tight area.:nono:

Gary, I live about 15 minutes from firebird raceway in eagle, idaho. Still haven't made it out there yet but I hope I get a chance this summer.

I just got home from the mountains, tied a house into the sewer and abandoned the septic. Neighbors let me borrow their cabin on the lake, was a good time.

Nothing like the smell of alcohol and nitro.

I played Dungeons & Dragons with my friend last night and made the mistake of eating some chicken tenders from the local Chevron station. My digestive system hates me now and I'm waiting for the medicine to kick in so I can try to get something done around the house. Need to clean the litterboxes and pick up in the kitchen.

Cool photos gary. It's family night at our strip on the 10th, I'm gonna try and make it.

I smelled something dead in the yard last night but it was too dark to see. This morning I found out it was my cat, Captain Fluffy. She was lying right next to my truck (but hadn't been run over). There didn't appear to be any injuries on her so I'm not sure what happened-- but I suspect my brother's dog jumped on her to play and since she was old and frail, she couldn't take it. The dogs seemed to have left her body alone, so I'm really not certain. The last time I saw her she seemed fine and she was bunting my face and being very cuddly and happy. I'm trying to keep that image in my head instead of how I found her. The heat and humidity didn't help so I had to bury her right away. Not a fun experience. :-(

At the gas station we saw one of my brother's former co-workers from Fred's store that went out of business a few months ago. She said that the store manager promised her (and other employees) that if she stuck around until store closing (instead of looking for another job right away) they would pay her a bonus of $500. Unfortunately, they lied to her. The bonus was only for the store manager and assistant manager or any employees who worked full time-- but they had her listed as part time because all employees other than the managers were only given about 26 hours a week. However, they worked her full time hours for the entire last month but because it wasn't for 12 weeks straight, she didn't qualify for any fulltime benefits. The pay even for the assistant manager there was less than people get paid at McDonalds. Basically, Fred's store sucks.

Today my wife called a dryer vent cleaner guy because ours was plugged and for 79 bucks it's cheaper than me running to town and finding the tool.guy showed up and was about the most unprofessional guy I have met in a while. Shorts and a button up with maybe two buttons buttoned. Cleaned it in two minutes which i was fine with but spent another 30 acting like he was working then asked for 150 bucks.

Havasu, I'm not quite sure how long she was there-- at least several hours. I didn't smell anything dead when I went out the morning before. My brother had gone to work around 3 and he would have seen her if she'd been dead then-- so she died sometime in the evening. Animals start to stink pretty quickly around here due to the climate. It was just heartbreaking finding her like that. I hope that whatever happened was quick and painless. And I hope the dogs had nothing to do with it-- although, if they had, there probably would have been fur all over and bite marks on her body.

Chris, that sucks. On one hand, I never give much thought to how repair people dress, but if they waste time and overcharge, it pisses me off.

Back