What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I primed the 10' pole with Rustoleum metal primer. Drove my friend home from the ER, held kittens, got him some food, and chatted with him for awhile. He has a large kidney stone but also has signs of prostate cancer so he will need to go get tested for that asap. Hoping there is another reason for the symptoms.
I let the puppies out. Made myself some grilled cheese sandwiches and scrambled eggs. In a bit I'm going to see if the pole is dry enough to do the finishing coat of paint.

If you're a fan of Wortc...... whatever sauce, try some Dales. I use it on a lot of stuff.
I was lazy and did a Bubba Angus burger patty in the small George Foreman grill and served it with Dale's steak sauce and a side of Margaret Holmes seasoned pinto beans. I like the Dale's steak sauce, soy but different.

I don't want to get too many gadgets in the kitchen but I saw a picture of a Sous Vide cooked medium rare chuck steak that looked delicious.

Sous Vide cooking is amazing! I don't have one, wish I did. Cooks to a perfect temp, then toss on a hot grill to sear. Easy to use, set it, and forget it's til time to eat. No overcooked or under cooked again.

I can't cook in plastic with all the chemicals that leach into the food. I saw a report where scientists took bottles of PET #1 plastic (Water, but is also Soda and other stuff) and exposed them to the trunk of a car in Arizona to simulate a shopping trip. The level of Antimony leaching into the water bottles was tested cold, room temp, and at various temps during the day. The amount of Antimony in the water was off the charts during the hot times. The last thing I will do is boil food in plastic.

To each their own though, all my siblings love it and also cook stuff wrapped in Aluminum foil.

I tend to boil water in metal. I have an electric kettle that is nice.

The pole got hit with some rain after it dried so I had to wipe it down and do some touch-up on spots I missed and spots that scraped off when I moved it. There are tool hanging hooks in the car port. Someone on another forum said he would put tubes on hooks like that to paint them. Hook wasn't strong enough to hold the pole horizontal but I have it at an angle so it is off the ground and I was able to get better coverage. I also primed the board that the mount will go on. I'm letting it dry but it's extremely damp out and might rain again.

I was only out there a few minutes and I'm soaked.

Today is my friend's appointment to get tested for cancer. Not sure how long it will take to get the results.

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.643...4!1sEV-05S7TTNhg_32VeqZAzw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
Too bad they misspelled the sign.

I was watching Midsomer Murders with my headphones on and my brother snuck up on me and reached his hand around to the front of my computer. LOL. But I saw my cats reacting to him before I saw his hand so I knew something was up. We chatted a bit and then I let the puppies out, fed them, walked them for a bit, did the finishing coat of paint on the pole (it came out very drippy and messy but I don't care as long as it is covered). Walked pups a bit more, and am about to watch more Midsomer Murders. Discovered we can watch it on the TV if I can figure out how to use the app on the tv and login to my Amazon Prime account.

When Starlink come to my area I will have to see what angle McDishy is at when locked on. Then I can see if I have any hope for finding a spot. They say it has to point a little to the north so maybe if I put the mount more to the south of my yard it would give me a better window. I won't be getting one unless they get competitive with DSL. I'm not into gaming (whatever it is) so only need to watch the occasional movie or youtube video w/o buffering.

Got sick of the precarious tangle of belts on the closet shelf and quickly built a rack for them yesterday. Now each one has a hook (actually a screw) to hang on along the side wall of the closet.

@Spicoli43 Starlink is going pretty good but the tree obstructing it causes some outages and I think hey went down for maintenance for about 15min the other night around 2am.

@Eddie_T It doesn't completely lock to a stationary position. It moves a bit to track the satellites as they move in the sky. But there is a general area of range that needs to be clear.
This is what my Visibility tab for the modem shows (the image rotates constantly):
1650083911108.png1650083990419.png
@Flyover that sounds like a good idea. I need to put more stuff back up. Cats like to pull things down. They are lucky I love them so much.

The puppies have pretty much doubled in size since I got them. I'm going to have to get them some harnesses so I can take them to the vet and see if anyone there wants them and get them vaccinated for Parvo and probably rabies and claw trimming too. They scratched my legs up while jumping up on me for attention. Separately, they are ok to manage and love individual cuddles. Together they fight for attention and get too excited. They do get me up and moving, but they are a pain and they have started destroying stuff. Nothing major thus far, but I don't need more messes to clean up.

Today it rained a lot but I went to the store to get Mom some vitamins and then she wanted fillet of fish from McDonalds. The cashier was very nice and repeated my order back to me slowly to make sure it was right. Good thing because she misheard something when I was ordering and I had to correct it. I made sure to thank her specifically for repeating the order back. Some of them don't do that.

I'm currently being lazy and trying to find the term for something I saw in Elder Scrolls Online- its like a sewer grate but it's vertical. Sort of like a portcullis or yett but it is stationary and goes somewhat underwater. It is to block things from getting in to canals/sewers while still letting water through. I tried various searches but couldn't find the right term and can't find good example images (because I need the right search terms). It's only for my own edification, but it will bug the hell out of me until I find out. LOL.

@Eddie_T It doesn't completely lock to a stationary position. It moves a bit to track the satellites as they move in the sky. But there is a general area of range that needs to be clear.
An antenna that small has a fairly wide beamwidth but needs incremental adjustments to keep the best overall view. The satellites are low and fast and as more satellites are placed in orbit it will be easier to keep them in view. My sky view is pretty limited but viewing an antenna in operation in my area will give me a clue, especially the general area of its pointing. Its track is not going to resemble that of bigger dishes and higher orbits that I have experience with because it's dealing with multiple satellites coming into its beamwidth.

Had an hour to kill, made a quick birdhouse out of scrap wood I had lying around. It's not reusable because I forgot to hinge one side, so I won't bother applying a waterproof finish. I'll make a proper reusable one some other time.
16502065384088965542216368880341.jpg

Meanwhile we've decided to just let the robin build its nest in the garage. After I thwarted its attempt to build atop my extension cords it relocated it to the top of my 6-foot ladder which I barely use anyway. Bygones. It's kind of neat to watch anyway.

Mounted the birdhouse on a tree where we can easily sit and watch it. Had a few birds come check it out: a tufted titmouse, an Eastern bluebird, a black-capped chicadee, maybe one or two more my wife saw. None of them have started nesting in it yet, but I have a good feeling about it.

My oldest had a friend over; the point was that I should take them and my middle child to an Easter egg hunt that my wife had found out about from a flyer the oldest had brought home from school, passed out by a classmate.

We got to the place and it was a church with a large wide-open field next to it. Cars were in the parking lot, but the field looked completely deserted. We parked and watched and I saw a family get out of their car and walk into the church, with kids carrying Easter baskets. So I said "Ohh, it's an indoor Easter egg hunt. Alright kids, let's go," and we got out and walked toward the church.

A kid who must have been 7 or 8 years old greeted us in an unusually enthusiastic and articulate way that made me think he was one of those child preachers-in-training or whatever. I asked the adult standing nearby, who I think was his mom, if this was the place for the Easter egg hunt, and she said yes, so we went inside.

Then I noticed all the little girls were in fancy dresses and all the little boys were in suits. Same for the adults: all the men wore suits, all the women wore dresses, with long skirts. That long skirt thing sent up a red flag. (My kids were in play clothes, and I was in my usual cargo pants and t-shirt and work boots, with a sawdust-speckled jacket I'd just worn while making the birdhouse.) We walked further into the main room of the church where I was expecting to see a large cleared area with eggs hidden poorly in the center, but instead I saw rows of chairs with a center aisle, and most people sitting in the chairs.

My eldest's friend turned to me and asked "Are we at a wedding or something?" I laughed because by then I knew we were not at the right kind of Easter egg hunt. I gathered the kids and said "Let's step outside, I've gotta make a phone call." Smiling and apologizing, I led the kids back through the small crowd of people and out the front door, repeating my half-lie about the phone call to adults who gave me questioning looks.

I got the kids back in the car and did indeed call my wife, to let her know she had sent us to what looked like some kind of fundie cult. We both had a good laugh about it as I sped out of that lot and drove the kids to Dairy Queen instead. (Which, it turned out, was closed for Easter. 🤬)

Every Easter egg hunt we've attended in the past, in multiple cities, has been at a public park, attended by normal people in casual clothes. People show up, an Emcee starts things off, and the kids look cute picking up eggs, then everyone goes home. Clearly, this was not that kind of an event!

Thanks for nothing, Ostara!

Last edited:
Toledo is paying $2million to upgrade the local YMCA building for them which looks like an unConstitutional entanglement of Govt. and religion...

Toledo is paying $2million to upgrade the local YMCA building for them which looks like an unConstitutional entanglement of Govt. and religion...
Call the AARP they love to attack Christians! They might even hire you as a bird dog.

Religion arguments are allowed, but me eviscerating every Leftist policy based on their whack imaginations isn't...

Okay.

Religion arguments are allowed, but me eviscerating every Leftist policy based on their whack imaginations isn't... Okay.
LOL! Prolly just hasn't been seen by a moderator yet...
I tried to use the harmless legal word 'negro' on 'conservative' site Daily Wire and it isn't allowed!
Conservative sites are censoring even worse than evil lib sites!
WeLoveTrump is just as bad!

Latest posts

Back