What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I thought I'd do what all my neighbors did last week and finally mow my lawn for the first time this year, but I think my mower's battery needs a charge. It makes the RRrrRRrrrRRRrrr noise when I turn the key in the ignition but it never sputters on.

I don't have a charger, but my one buddy does. Is there a way to charge a riding mower battery safely without a charger?

Cleaned litterboxes, chased the puppies while they misbehaved, helped my friend mount the new 10' pole. It's wobbly unfortunately. Went to TSC bc local hardware store was closed and got more screws thinking the board we put on the eaves was the problem but the fascia of the eaves itself is a bit on the weak side. Grabbed 100' of paracord to temporarily stabilize it. Got one end wrapped around the chimney and the other extending to the car port. We get lag spikes from time to time but it says there are no obstructions.
1650519963842.png
I wish we'd ordered the extension power cord and just tried to put it on the tower but I don't think my friend is up for that. It took 3 people to get the pole up and at one point my brother dropped a ladder on my head (I wasn't under it, he was messing around with it and dropped it) behind him (which was where I was standing- near the porch bc I was organizing my tools).

Puppies ran off with the gorilla tape (which was wrapped around the base of the pole to make it fit tighter in the mount.

Went back into town with my friend to buy him food. He's really sore after having to handle that pole. Lots of jokes were made about pole-handling. Got home, washed dishes, put a couple of the ladders on the porch, & made hamburger stroganoff with sautéed mushrooms. Put away leftovers and watched some show about amputees getting prosthetics made. I'm ready for a nap.

Good news is there are no obstructions for the satellite currently. It is wobbly so it lags a bit, but otherwise doing ok.

Thinking of getting https://www.amazon.com/Directv-Braces-Support-Monopoles-Slimline/dp/B014RW92KU/ to stabilize the pole. Since the eaves are weak, I think they could attach to the roof in a spot that isn't over a room.

Well I thought I'd do what all my neighbors did last week and finally mow my lawn for the first time this year, but I think my mower's battery needs a charge. It makes the RRrrRRrrrRRRrrr noise when I turn the key in the ignition but it never sputters on.

I don't have a charger, but my one buddy does. Is there a way to charge a riding mower battery safely without a charger?
I don't know of a way, if it exists. If the lawn mower starter is 12V, do you have a car jumpstarter? Or just jump-start it like one would a car?

Also, you may have already checked this but, have you looked at the motor side and made sure everything is smooth and well lubricated? What I mean is that, even though the battery may indeed need a charge, if things are "sticky" on the motor, then the starter is having to work extra, needing more current from the battery. Also, once you do get it running, I would check the alternator or your battery may just be old.

Cleaned litterboxes, chased the puppies while they misbehaved, helped my friend mount the new 10' pole. It's wobbly unfortunately. Went to TSC bc local hardware store was closed and got more screws thinking the board we put on the eaves was the problem but the fascia of the eaves itself is a bit on the weak side. Grabbed 100' of paracord to temporarily stabilize it. Got one end wrapped around the chimney and the other extending to the car port. We get lag spikes from time to time but it says there are no obstructions.
View attachment 27815
I wish we'd ordered the extension power cord and just tried to put it on the tower but I don't think my friend is up for that. It took 3 people to get the pole up and at one point my brother dropped a ladder on my head (I wasn't under it, he was messing around with it and dropped it) behind him (which was where I was standing- near the porch bc I was organizing my tools).

Puppies ran off with the gorilla tape (which was wrapped around the base of the pole to make it fit tighter in the mount.

Went back into town with my friend to buy him food. He's really sore after having to handle that pole. Lots of jokes were made about pole-handling. Got home, washed dishes, put a couple of the ladders on the porch, & made hamburger stroganoff with sautéed mushrooms. Put away leftovers and watched some show about amputees getting prosthetics made. I'm ready for a nap.

Good news is there are no obstructions for the satellite currently. It is wobbly so it lags a bit, but otherwise doing ok.

Thinking of getting Amazon.com: (Pack of 2) Directv Long Braces for J Mount with 2" OD Clamps Support Arms Monopoles Ka/ku Slimline Struts : Electronics to stabilize the pole. Since the eaves are weak, I think they could attach to the roof in a spot that isn't over a room.
That installation looks like an accident about to happen. I would never add a 10ft pole to an eave mount. It might work if the pole was extended to and anchored into the ground.

I don't know of a way, if it exists. If the lawn mower starter is 12V, do you have a car jumpstarter? Or just jump-start it like one would a car?

Also, you may have already checked this but, have you looked at the motor side and made sure everything is smooth and well lubricated? What I mean is that, even though the battery may indeed need a charge, if things are "sticky" on the motor, then the starter is having to work extra, needing more current from the battery. Also, once you do get it running, I would check the alternator or your battery may just be old.
I was worried about jump-starting it from my car...couldn't I fry the battery doing that? It's okay, my buddy has a charger he's going to lend me.

I checked the air filter and the engine oil before I even tried starting it. Both are remarkably clean and the oil was right in the center of the defined area on the dipstick. The mower was brand new when I bought it a year ago, and I definitely mow as infrequently as possible, so I'm sure nothing on it is worn out.

If it's still not starting after a good charge I'll slink back here and complain some more until I get help. 😆

Eddie, its not perfect but we do have it secured on either side. I'm planning to add guy wires. Absolute worst case I can try to find a roof mount that can handle angles. but that puts it closer to the tree obstruction. I am also considering putting up a very tall ground mount pole that I can sister it to from below for more stability. We still plan to use guy wires.

Today I dodged puppies measured the eaves (bc my friend thought the overhang was only 12" and I had to disabuse him of that idea), and then I cleaned up the hallway and kitchen floor and hauled out trash. Waiting for my brother to clear a heavy bag for me so I can do more but I worked up a sweat and am cooling off.

It makes the RRrrRRrrrRRRrrr noise when I turn the key in the ignition but it never sputters on.
Do you have gas in it? Some mowers just start better with a full tank. My old clunker won't start at all unless the tank is completely full...
If mower battery is 12 volts, jumping from a modern (after 1953) 12 volt car won't hurt it...
(Some old British cars have + and - backwards)
Today's gas evaporates leaving a clear waxy difficult to see substance in the carburetor jets that can block fuel flow...
Often have to check the sparkplug for sparking and for crud buildup on its tip, as well... spark should be a hot strong blue color, not weak yellow or white...

They recommend keeping mower tanks full to stop condensation from forming inside the tank, which will fall as water droplets into the bottom of the tank.

They recommend keeping mower tanks full to stop condensation from forming inside the tank, which will fall as water droplets into the bottom of the tank.
That's interesting. Makes sense! I'll remember that.

Buzz, I filled the tank before starting it. The mower is a year old and I use it lightly, it shouldn't have much buildup on anything. Like I said, the air filter and oil were both clean even after a full summer/fall's use. I'd be surprised if the spark plug had a lot of wear, but I will check.

My buddy's charger didn't look like it'd be sufficient (only 500mA, with tiny little alligator clips like you'd use on an electricity science project when you're a kid) so today I bought a 1.5A charger/maintainer. Now I just have one I can use each spring. And lend to my buddy if he needs it!

That's interesting. Makes sense! I'll remember that.

Buzz, I filled the tank before starting it. The mower is a year old and I use it lightly, it shouldn't have much buildup on anything. Like I said, the air filter and oil were both clean even after a full summer/fall's use. I'd be surprised if the spark plug had a lot of wear, but I will check.
Take the air filter off and give it a small shot of starting fluid when you crank it and see if it fires. If you didn't use fuel stabilizer in the fall the gas can evaporate from the carb and gum it up, doesn't matter if it's new. If it fires briefly with starter fluid then dies you probably have a fuel issue. If it does nothing it could be a spark issue. Just some ideas.

With motorcycle batteries I learned that for long life they should be kept in a charged state. Before the concept of battery tenders I used a timer to turn a 1.5 amp charger on for a short period everyday. When the little charger/tenders became available I left one on for the winter months. When the battery is fully charged they float rather than constantly trickle charging.

I have been researching moving to Arizona or Texas, but that's off the table for now since interest rates are double what they were pre Covid... Just like everything else going up in price because of what is easily Obama's most disastrous term.

I'm trapped in my house at 2.25% interest, which is 37.6% actual...

If I sold and bought at the lowest I see, 4.375%, that's 79.7% actual... That's before the expected increases next month, and ongoing.

Only in America would people be faced with massive increases in everything they buy, including paying 80 percent interest on their house, and STILL vote for the people that put them in that situation. The housing part belongs to all the evil people of the one party with two heads.

The only positive is my property value won't stop increasing because people on the Left Coast are fleeing the Communist governments there, and there is a massive shortage of houses here, driving them into an auction format. Putting up a for sale sign is only worth it for the exercise because once the hole is dug, the house has 7 offers.

I went to buy a 24 pack of bottled water today... couldn't believe the price had just inflated by 75% !!! ... I mean... WATER !!!

My buddy's charger didn't look like it'd be sufficient (only 500mA, with tiny little alligator clips like you'd use on an electricity science project when you're a kid) so today I bought a 1.5A charger/maintainer. Now I just have one I can use each spring. And lend to my buddy if he needs it!
That 1/2 amp charger will charge a mower or even car battery... just takes longer...

I went to buy a 24 pack of bottled water today... couldn't believe the price had just inflated by 75% !!! ... I mean... WATER !!!

Everything is going up. I would go to a local brew shop or look online for 1 gallon glass jugs with lids. I have to use the gallon jugs and fill them at the Supermarket in their Reverse Osmosis machine because my well water isn't that good. (If you get 1/2 gallon growler jugs, the stores will probably charge you the full gallon price.)

It's a pain to drag around gallon glass jugs, but it's only 25 cents a gallon, and there is no added Antimony like in the plastic bottles.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17707454/
Or, if you're on City water, you might try an under the counter Reverse Osmosis system. They are easy to put in, and you can use filters you get in 50 packs on Ebay. I got mixed results with well water, and some manufacturers say City only, so that would be a research point.

I ended up stopping by AutoZone and picking up a 1.5A battery tender. I plugged the mower in for maybe 10-15 minutes in the middle of the day, then after dinner she started right up.

Now I have joined the soulless droning masses who have already mowed their lawns in 2022.

I have been researching moving to Arizona or Texas, but that's off the table for now since interest rates are double what they were pre Covid... Just like everything else going up in price because
I got to the word "because" and thought "Here it comes" and then kept reading and sure enough. Politics is so boring. It's pro sports without the athletic skill.

My family has been trying to adopt a greyhound and I'm learning this is far more difficult than I thought it would be. If you're in Ohio and know a greyhound that needs adopting please let me know.

Everything is going up. I would go to a local brew shop or look online for 1 gallon glass jugs with lids. I have to use the gallon jugs and fill them at the Supermarket in their Reverse Osmosis machine because my well water isn't that good. (If you get 1/2 gallon growler jugs, the stores will probably charge you the full gallon price.)

It's a pain to drag around gallon glass jugs, but it's only 25 cents a gallon, and there is no added Antimony like in the plastic bottles.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17707454/
Or, if you're on City water, you might try an under the counter Reverse Osmosis system. They are easy to put in, and you can use filters you get in 50 packs on Ebay. I got mixed results with well water, and some manufacturers say City only, so that would be a research point.
I have an RO system and have a well. Drinking straight RO water isn't too good for you. My system includes a re-mineralization stage to add a desirable minerals back at suiible levels. Helps the taste too. I haven't had any issues. My system also has a little pump to help refill a little faster. RO does waste a lot of water but I git sick of buying water all the time.

BTW the PET plastics are the clear plastics like the small water bottles use. The translucent gallon jugs, like a milk jug, are polyethylene and I don't believe present the same problem.

Back