What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started back on my shower today after taking a break to do other chores. Today I patched a hole in the floor where I had to move a floor register because it was where I want to build a wall.

IMG_5378.jpeg

I put wood across the hole from underneath in the crawl space.

IMG_5377.jpeg

I’m hoping the wood putty turns darker as it dries but if it doesn’t, it is stainable. The patch is at the end of the two pieces of blue tape. I staggered the wood pieces on the near side of the patch but the far side is cut straight across but will be under the wall and not be seen so I didn’t stagger the pieces there. There is also a wide gap on the far side of the patch that will be under the wall but I’m not worried about that.
IMG_5375.jpeg

I moved the floor register about 6 feet

IMG_4139.jpeg

IMG_4140.jpeg

img_4142-jpeg.31357

IMG_5379.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4142.jpeg
    IMG_4142.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 37
I had turkey biscuits for supper. I baked Mrs. B's Jumbos in the air fryer for 15 minutes or so flipping them about halfway through. They were delicious but I haven't found a neat way to fork or knife split the biscuits. They always crumble. I tried a couple more splitting them when only half done, still too much crumble. What a dilemma they taste better than Pillsbury and I'm generally too lazy to make my own.

No, my proposal is to put a niche in a wall that isn’t an exterior wall although there is one wall of the shower on an exterior wall.
I was just bringing that up in case you hadn't thought about it. Great that you did.

The movie Sound of Freedom, starring Jim Caviezel and inspired by the real-life anti-sex trafficking pursuits of former government agent Tim Ballard, has grossed $124 million at the domestic box office just three weeks after its July 4 opening, according to Box Office Mojo. The media just can't stand it and is trying to trash it.

Ekrig, the walls around the tub look nice. I see you used Aquadefense.

Ron, the floor and bathroom are looking good.

I'm trying to motivate myself to be more active. Been getting dizzy when I bend down and am feeling tired. I've mostly been awake at night while feeling sleepy during the day. I've been a night owl for a long time though.

Did a 2 night cooling experiment with my Large AC and my Small portable window AC.

No box fans or the ceiling fan was on. Any doors that could be open for the Large AC stayed open. The vent was off when using the window unit. No laundry, oven, stove, dishwasher was on during the test. The only heat generation was from the TV projector.

One Hour for the Large AC equaled almost 4 Hours for the Small AC.

Large AC Watts 4600
Temp @ 10 PM = 80
Temp @ 11 PM = 78
Cost per hour = .54

Small AC Watts 1207
Temp @ 709 PM = 81
Temp @ 11 PM = 75
Cost per hour = .14

I looked at the Thermostat during the Small AC test and it had gone down 2 degrees within the first hour, at least matching the Large AC and of course saving money. Granted, it wasn't cooling the whole house, but a reduction of 6 degrees versus 2 degrees tells me my solution for whole house cooling is getting more window units for other rooms.

The temp dropped another 2 degrees within 15 minutes after the Large AC test when I put a Ice bucket in front of a Box fan, so the next experiments will be exactly that... Both scenarios ran with one Box fan and an Ice bucket.

Last edited:
My MIL had a small 1.5 story house. BIL put the smallest window unit ($99.95 at the time) in essentially an unused window in a rear hallway. I thought to myself there's no way that will cool the whole house. It ran continuously and did lower the whole house temperature somewhat (we didn't have a thermometer) but importantly it significantly lowered the relative humidity and made the house livable on hot days. One more unit would have done the job.

I considered that approach but don't have any sash or sliding windows and didn't want to sacrifice any 6' high casement windows to try it. I used a portable AC in the den area but they exhaust room air. I made a cat door type insert for the sliding glass patio door. Midia makes a dual hose portable that uses outside air to cool the condenser but don't state any SEER number.

https://www.amazon.com/Midea-Condit...ocphy=9010265&hvtargid=pla-1370022251004&th=1

Last edited:
.I considered that approach but don't have any sash or sliding windows and didn't want to sacrifice any 6' high casement windows to try it.
We have the same problem. We replaced a bunch of our old windows with casement style windows so I guess it’s a good thing our HVAC works well. At .12 cents per kWh, it’s not too bad to keep the house cool.

So, I’m going to install the drain into our acrylic shower pan and the instructions say to NOT use plumbers putty because it can degrade the pan. It says to use latex/acrylic sealant or a gasket.

IMG_5395.jpeg
But then, when I opened the box, there was a little card inside that said NOT to use acrylic latex or silicone sealants.

IMG_5391.jpeg
They give 4 recommendations on sealants but none of these are available near here so I got DAP AMP(advanced modified polymer) kitchen and bath sealant.

I hope it works.

Switching from light beers to the real stuff. I picked up a 12 pack of Yuengling Traditional Lager as its price wasn't too scary (about the same as preppy water).

My son saw three bear cubs in a neighbor's yard down the hill from him. He didn't see the mom but then saw their apple tree shaking in the top and apples flying everywhere. The cubs each grabbing an apple and running for the woods.

I was trying to drive the loaner 2009 Impala to town today and couldn't get it out of park. I was about to give up and call my son or DIL. Finally I figured it out. The only automatics I have driven had no safety feature. They just assumed the driver used common sense. So as I considered what the government might require to make a car idiot proof it hit me, I'll have to apply the brake. For the record I made it to town and back w/o an accident. I avoided the roundabouts..

Stupid roundabouts, whoever thought those were a good idea should be shot.
The roundabouts here have worked well. There a couple intersections near me where a county road crosses a state highway. There were bad wrecks there all the time and traffic would back up 20 deep at the stop sign at different times of the day. Now no backups and any crashes now are fender benders. That's the intent and hard to argue with the results.

I what something in the shower to put stuff on but the idea of a built in niche isn't sitting right with me. I don't know if the tiling is my concern or what. I don't think I could tile in a niche and have it look right or water proof. There will be cement board with a water proof membrane behind the tile but if I put a hole in it for a niche...then there is a potential leak. Maybe I worry too much. Anyway, I was looking at this Stainless niche that drops in and gets sealed around a flange keeping water out of the hole.

View attachment 31334

Or I could go with corner shelves but I want them to be super sturdy.
We reworked the shower in our last house and we used preformed niches. They were 1 piece plastic that set in the wall and tile went over them. Have you run across those? Our tile came from a tile shop not a big box store. We were only there for about a year after it was done so I can't speak to longevity. I also had the work done because I just didn't have the time at that point due to work travel.

The roundabouts here have worked well. There a couple intersections near me where a county road crosses a state highway. There were bad wrecks there all the time and traffic would back up 20 deep at the stop sign at different times of the day. Now no backups and any crashes now are fender benders. That's the intent and hard to argue with the results.
As for roundabouts, we have two near me and the radius of both is too small. A fender bender could total my car, at my age disable me for life, or both. Statistics can be whatever the snake oil purveyor wishes them to be but for me the risk is just too great. I can see where a half acre roundabout might work but we don't have any of those.

Last edited:
Back