What Is The Proper Tool For These Clamps? What Are They Called?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PJB12

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello All!

I have to do trauma surgery on my washing machine and must remove many clamps that look like the ones in the photos. My work truck has many, too.

In the past, I've struggled with these type of clamps.
Water pump pliers (aka Channelocks) slip off. The small ones sometimes come off by using slip-joint pliers, linesman pliers or gas pliers (plus some creative *^#)&!!&* words) because the tool jaws are wide enough to grab both wires on one side and the loop on the other at the same time.

A lot of the clamps for today's transplant operation are too wide for the pliers that I have. And, I'm running out of band aids.

In real life, what is the proper tool for this job?
Despite my searching catalogs and on line, I can't find a consistent name for this type of clamp. What is the real name for them?

Thanks For Helping Solve This Mystery!
Paul

Attachments

• Clamps View 1.jpg
    Clamps View 1.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Clamps View 2.jpg
    Clamps View 2.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 0
I think that's called a double wire spring hose clamp. I don't know what the tool is called, I have always fudged with water pump or channel lock pliers. Someone at an auto parts store or Ace Hardware might be able to answer.

I hate those clamps and once removed I replace them with a screw clamp. Lately when buying screw clamps I have noticed a big difference between the good ones that cost more and the cheap junk. I sprung a leak in our hot tub that cost $12k only to find out it was built with a 39 cent clamp than a buck and a half quality clamp. I wrote a nice letter to the company telling them I hope the 20 bucks they saved on hose clamps was worth them not getting a good review from me in the future.

Thanks Guy for replying.
I ran with what Eddie T said and, sure enough I found the tool. I took a screen shot from someone's video & it's attached.
The ironic part is that I found one of these years ago and never knew what it was for. It's too small for most of the clamps on the machine, but now I know what it is for.

The screen shot of the tool that I found didn't come out well. You have to click on it to see the bottom jaw.

Some time ago, I cut notches in a linesman plier, like Soonyb described. I used it on a single wire clamp on my truck that was hard to reach. I've another that I brazed wide pieces of steel on the jaws for a different goofy clamp.

With some many pliers that get used so seldom, I like bud16415's plan. That is what I'll do for the washing machine. Stainless steel is probably the smart idea. Also, I have had some where the band's edges were sharp and cut into the hose. The stainless ones I have are nice and polished.

That's unfortunate what happened to your hot tub. I hope there wasn't damage to the room from water. It's time to fight back!

My tactic when a company messes me over is to register a domain and politely let someone high up in the food chain know that the web site will go live if they do not rectify the problem. When rectified, I dump the domain name.

Crazy Story:
When we bought our washing machine, dryer and refrigerator, none worked. The washing machine leaked all over the place. Maytag (Whirlpool) sent a repair person who dented the front of the cabinet, scratched the glass window in the lid, smashed the machine into the dryer and actually threatened my wife when she asked if they would fix the damage he did. And, when he left the machine still did not work. The dryer & refrigerator still did not work.

I tried to get Whirlpool to send a different person & they said no. I fought and fought, as I did not want this person who threatened my wife in the house. They also said that I had to pay for the parts to fix the dented & scratched cabinets & glass. "Non Warranty Parts" I explained that their contractor did the damage. Tough luck.

I got no where, so I wrote to two people on the board of directors & the CEO & their head of legal explaining that the web site "Whirlpoolsucks com" will go live in one day unless the machine repairs are scheduled. I received an apologetic phone call from the CEO who listened to the warranty phone calls' tape recordings that they keep.

The next day, UPS delivered the part to fix the leak, a new cabinet for the washer and dryer and a new lid with window. The following day, two people from another company came & fixed everything, including the refrigerator that did not work and the dryer. They got someone to take away the old untis that the delivery people were contracted to do, but did not.

The really funny part is that Whirlpool kept sending machine cabinets. We ended up with eleven of them before I could get them to stop. We had three lids, too! They never would pick them up, so I gave them away.

Thanks Again Guys! I appreciate knowledge. (It's always good to learn new stuff, but every time I learn something new, something old falls out!)

Enjoy Today!
Paul

Attachments

• Double WIre Spring Hose Clamp Tool.png
    Double WIre Spring Hose Clamp Tool.png
    166.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back