WHY do people buy blank?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried frog legs meat once.... it too made me jumpy
dinner-table.gif

How about processed cheese? I hate that stuff. I have zero use for it. There are plenty of cheeses that melt smoothly and taste 100% better. That stuff is basically vegetable oil. The same with that liquid stuff some Mexican restaurants use. If it's liquid at room temperature it isn't cheese.
I think those fake meat products are aimed at people who are trying to become vegetarian or vegan but still crave meat. I can't imagine trying one myself. But my opinion on a lot of weird stuff people buy is "to each his own." Like liver, we had it for dinner last night but a lot ov people could never understand why you would pay money for it but we love it.

Why do people buy these massive car spoiler wings?
And the worst part is that they put these on some older cars (e.g., 2005 Honda Civic). I understand some people wanting a cooler-looking car, but on those older cars it just looks plain goofy.
14.jpg

By "Processed cheese", I assume you mean Kraft Singles or something like that. I agree, I only really eat Tillamook Pepper Jack. There's nowhere around here to try cheese, which is a problem because a lot of them taste horrible.

As far as Liver, I can't even be in the house if it's cooking. When I was a kid, my Mom would send me over to the neighbors house to hang out while she was cooking it, then she would make sure the air was clear in the house before telling me I could come back.

And the worst part is that they put these on some older cars (e.g., 2005 Honda Civic). I understand some people wanting a cooler-looking car, but on those older cars it just looks plain goofy.
14.jpg
They look horrible on all cars in my opinion.

If installed correctly, these actually stabilize the back end of the vehicle at high speeds and help keep the vehicle under control. Even at 75 or 80 mph these things are beneficial.

Even though we commonly see them on race cars exceeding 150 mph or more, they are beneficial at lower speeds too like driving on the interstate where they let folks go 80 or 85 mph

Fake meat... Hmmmm don't think I have ever seen it, and know I haven't tasted it.... Instant potats... I know people who ate it, I have never... I love real food... so I like homemade soup... not can...

I thought instant tators were real tators... just faster to make?

I mean it's not like potato flavored saw dust or anything is it?

I thought instant tators were real tators... just faster to make?

I mean it's not like potato flavored saw dust or anything is it?
Just looked at Walmart's version, they add Sugar and a chemical to maintain the coloring of the Potatoes.

As far as sawdust, that's added to a lot of processed foods. (Cellulose) They could use other forms of cellulose, but the no cost or very low cost version is sawdust.

I see Ore-Ida has dextrose (sugar) which would be used as a preservative and sodium acid pyrophosphate. That is added to prevent browning. Browning or graying of cut potatoes is caused by enzymes. Lowering the pH stops that enzymatic action. You can do the same with citrus juice or vinegar. If you use enough to stop the action completely you effect the taste. That's why it's not used. I did some development work on browning of fruits and vegetables with the product we produced. It worked well and is used a number of food products. We competed directly with sodium acid pyrophosphate. I believe frozen potatoe products are par cooked too. Frozen potatoes are just a convenience and are fine in certain recipes. I don't like frozen mashed potatoes though, yuk.

Spoilers look stupid on anything except the Lamborghini Countache and the Porche 911, maybe a few other high-end cars like that, but yeah they do stabilize at high speeds if installed right. Though they also introduce drag and if you're trying to drive on a normal road (interstate freeway, at those speeds) you don't or shouldn't need that kind of stability; introducing drag is just a way to burn extra gas for no reason. It's a form of peacocking, I figure.

American cheese (which isn't technically cheese; Kraft will admit this right on the packaging: "cheese product") is great on burgers, in my opinion. Worse than useless for anything else. Though, I do like stadium nachos with that unknown yellow substance more than fancy restaurant nachos.

I love fine food cooked from scratch. I cook for my family every night and I realized it's probably the number one way I show my love for them. But damn I also love junk food, it's so delicious. Of course my mashed potatoes from scratch are better, but box mashed potatoes are a guilty pleasure, I love'em.

The stacks on the Dodge Lil Red Dakota weren't functional.

1667795312925.png

I read that despite the Countach's cool looks it had not been wind tunnel tested and actually had poor aerodynamics.

Last edited:
Ok, while we are on "Supercars" or whatever they call them, why do people buy McLarens? If you own one, you have to crate it up and ship it back to McLaren for ALL service, including an oil change! The engine is completely sealed up, you can't see anything. I saw one featured on "Counting Cars".

I HAVE TO do basic maintenance myself, it's ingrained in me... That said, I would probably have the dealer do everything if I had a Dodge Charger Hellcat.

Jay Leno's in house mechanics do all the maintenance work on his McLaren so it can be done.

But, knowing Jay he probably hired one of their engineers or something

I had a friend at work and we were both into bicycle riding mine was recreational and he felt he liked to compete in local events. He was showing me he bought new wheels that were a couple grams lighter and a new crank a couple grams lighter and this and that. When he got done explaining I said I was surprised he didn’t lighten his seat post and he said what? and I pointed to his belly.

That said, I would probably have the dealer do everything if I had a Dodge Charger Hellcat.
I think you answered your own question. 🤣

Next up, why do people set up couches and TVs in their garages? This is something I didn't see until I moved to the city where I live now. TVs and couches are supposed to go in your house, and if you don't have room maybe you have too much stuff. In my five-person 2000 ft2 house I have a home gym, an office for my wife, an office for me, a dedicated dining area, tons of storage, a room for each of my kids, and more--and I still have a living room with a TV and a couch. Two couches if you count the Nugget cushions we got for the kids.

My 2 car garage houses stuff like tools, bikes, sports equipment, the lawn mower...and two cars.

I'm thinking the whole "man cave" industry is just a way to take advantage of people who buy too much stuff and can't organize it.

Maybe I should go into business selling accessory building man caves, for people who have so many TVs and couches in their garages they don't have room for their man caves.

Last edited:
I know a lady who has a nice Habitat home but she has added a she-shed.

Back