windows 10 on a PC

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I uploaded Win10 onto my Win7, for about 10 minutes. I hated it and immediately went back to Win7.

I run win 10 on my work computer. It's better than win 8 but nothing compares to windows 7, that was the best.

I am a firm believer in change and I will change next time I get a new computer and use whatever it has on it. I have 7 on this and it does everything I could ever hope for so why mess with it.

Microsoft Word was as good as it ever needed to be about 15 years ago. I’m still sticking with it till it wont load any longer.

I am a firm believer in change and I will change next time I get a new computer and use whatever it has on it. I have 7 on this and it does everything I could ever hope for so why mess with it.

Microsoft Word was as good as it ever needed to be about 15 years ago. I’m still sticking with it till it wont load any longer.

Amen brother!

Win 10 is pretty configurable. But you have to snoop around a little "under the hood" It takes more than a few minutes of staring at the new screens. You can set it up like win8 or win7. I set mine to be like Win7 and it is okay. Even the wife is dealing with it;)
One neat thing that I really like is "print to PDF". You see it like it's a printer when you go to the print dialogue; if you choose it as a the printer, it makes a PDF file from whatever you were going to print and allows you to name the file and save it to any folder. Works well with my old Quickbooks for reports and stuff.

Win 10 is pretty configurable.

But... they took away the ability to control updates.

So now, Bill and the boys can load anything they want on your Win 10 PC... and that is going to be a problem!

It's my machine, so I'll decide what get's loaded and what does not... Bill and the boys don't see it that way.

Because of this, the door is open for everything you do on your computer to be accessed by God only knows who and privacy will become more of a joke than it already is... c'mon Linux!

</soapbox>

Once I figured out the E was for edge and not explorer, it is getting better but slow. I just don't understand why every few years I have to learn how to be a tech.

can't disagree with that. But it is only more obvious, not new.

At least with Win 7 I can decide to not allow a particular update to load... and I can decide to tell my PC to notify me that updates are available but let me decide when or if I want to download or install them.

All that is gone with Win 10 going forward... so maybe this will get software developers hard at work making all the software we like capable of running efficiently and effectively on Linux by the end of life for Win 7 in 2021 or whenever that date will be.

By that time third party providers will have security programs that will allow one to continue using Win 7 and still be protected...

Or, you could switch to Linux which is getting more and more decent software that runs on that OS making it a more viable option with each passing year.

The end of civilization as we know it will probably come before Win 7 end of life so this will be the least of our worries. :hide:

... or you can switch to Mac (which is linux based). But Apple does the same stuff more or less. Linux won't be commercially viable until some company takes control of it. And then; S.O.S. (same ol' sh*t)

Not saying it's going to happen tomorrow, but eventually MS will no longer support Win7. Will the pain of transition be any easier then or now?

The way it seems to work for me is yes Win7 will sometime go away and the next computer I buy before that happens will have Win14 or something. The last time I bought a computer Win7 was a pleasant surprise and a pretty easy transition. I heard Vista wasn’t a lot of fun also. But what do I know I was getting laughed at work by a bunch of young guys for having an iPhone 4 still. I pointed out when I was their age we still had to pull over and find a phone booth if we wanted to talk. One kid said what’s a phone booth.

Latest posts

Back