Woodturning

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewdin

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My neighbour recently got me into wood turning, does anyone else do any wood turning?

Turned a bowl in school, really liked it, still have the bowl. Haven't looked at a lathe since.;)

Made some stuff in shop class some many years ago, have my grandpa's old wood lathe down stairs stored by the wall. Haven't touched it in 28 years. Why do I hang on to stuff I don't use...:confused:

When I had the wood shop running I was invited to the wood working club meeting, they were having a guest speaker. He talked about turning for an hour. I think he was talking english but I wasn't sure as I never understude half what he talked about.

I work with a really good wood turner. I just helped him design a attachment to turn balls.

Like the rest of you last time I did wood turning was in high school. Thinking about it though as every week I see a lathe for sale on CL real cheep. Something to do when I get old.

I work with a really good wood turner. I just helped him design a attachment to turn balls.

Like the rest of you last time I did wood turning was in high school. Thinking about it though as every week I see a lathe for sale on CL real cheep. Something to do when I get old.

Stop by..........

I don't like cleaning up so I think turning is last on my list

I agree on the clean up, wood shavings get everywhere! The worst is in my shoes and socks, what a pain in the ***!

I got a small lathe off of craigslist pretty cheap. I'm still a rookie but I have made a ton of beer openers and handles. Just trying to learn the tools and the right way to use them.

I agree on the clean up, wood shavings get everywhere! The worst is in my shoes and socks, what a pain in the ***!

I got a small lathe off of craigslist pretty cheap. I'm still a rookie but I have made a ton of beer openers and handles. Just trying to learn the tools and the right way to use them.

plastic bags and duct tape;)

Thanks, I'm just a rookie but my neighbour has been helping me. Its a different game when he's not around to help! haha

I enjoy turning and own a custom Vega 15 X 144" VS lathe.Here's some columns I turned as part of a historical restoration project for the state of Illinois.

rose.jpg

I have the JET JML-1014VS Mini Lathe, I am thinking I should have looked for a bigger one now that my projects seem to be growing but I couldn’t beat the price. I wish I could make some columns! How did you keep consistency for each one? Nothing I make even if it is supposed to be the same, is never the same! haha

Several sets of calipers.I lay the blank out from a template them use a parting tool and calipers to set the depth at each detail change.Then just turn the beads,cove ,vases or whatever in between the depths and spaces already set checking frequently in different areas with the calipers on long spaces.
This lathe will spin a blank 15" in diameter by 144" long so it's not for the faint at heart.I did have a 12" X 120" blank come apart on me once while turning.That gives you a little incentive to make sure all your joints are perfect.

Last edited:
I am still learning to turn a bead and cove, I have been watching videos and using the skew a ton. With a ton of catches too, I destroyed a lot of good quality wood, then I started practising on 2x4s!

Back