1 source, 3 switches [in one gang box] to 3 lights, but 1 light needs to power an outlet.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micang

Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to figure out how to go about the following:

I have a single source (1 breaker on 12-2 wire) going in to a gang box with 3 switches. I would then like to go from these switches to power 3 lights on and off (1 switch to 1 light)), but one of these lights needs to power an outlet, but the outlet needs to be powered all the time.
I think I know how to do this if I had 1 switch going to 1 light then to the outlet by using 12-3 between the switch to the light then 12-2 from the light to the outlet. But with adding 2 switches, I am usure how or if this complicates things?

Any help in the right direction greatly appreciated.

Thanks
micang

Welcome.

So, 2 switch legs and a recep., all in separate boxes.

From the hot pair connect 2 pigtails and the red of the 12-3 too the black of the hot pair, connect the 3 white together.
Connect each of the pigtails to a separate switch.
Connect the blacks from both the 12-2 & the 12-3, to ea. separate switches.
At the fixture boxes connect the blacks & whites appropriately.
At the fixture box with the 12-3, connect the black from the 12-2 for the recep. to the red conductor, from the 12-3 and then connect the 3 whites together.

Hi Snoonyb, (thank yo for the welcome, appreciate it.)

Thank you so much for your reply - I am trying to follow it - do you mind looking at the attached - first question I have is do I have it correct with the 12-3 wire goes? (between switch1 and light 1).

(yellow line denotes white wire and I am not showing the ground wire in the diagram)

Attachments

• wiring.png
    wiring.png
    24.5 KB · Views: 0
Welcome.

So, 3 switch legs and a recep., all in separate boxes.

From the hot pair connect 3 pigtails and the red of the 12-3 too the black of the hot pair, connect the 4 white together.
Connect each of the pigtails to a separate switch.
Connect the blacks from the 12-2 & the 12-3, to ea. separate switches.
At the fixture boxes connect the blacks & whites appropriately.
At the fixture box with the 12-3, connect the black from the 12-2 for the recep. to the red conductor, from the 12-3 and then connect the 3 whites together.

My apologies, I've corrected my original response to correctly reflect the situation.

Only the black conductor of the 12-3, as well as the 12-2's connects to the respective switches.

My apologies, I've corrected my original response to correctly reflect the situation.

Only the black conductor of the 12-3, as well as the 12-2's connects to the respective switches.

I think I get it now, thank you so much Snoonyb - I am buying the wire (now that I can figure out how much I need) and try connecting this weekend.

Thank you so much for all your help.

I've never used 12-2 for light circuits, just recep.
Thank you Snoonby - I will use 14-2 for the lights.

To recap, do I have this correct?:

a.) 2 switches to the 2 lights 14-2
b.) 3rd switch to light 12-3 then from light to recep 12-2

Thank you.

If you use 14/2 then you must use a 15 amp breaker. If you want 20 amps then you must use #12 for all the cables.

Thank you Snoonby - I will use 14-2 for the lights.

To recap, do I have this correct?:

a.) 2 switches to the 2 lights 14-2
b.) 3rd switch to light 12-3 then from light to recep 12-2

Thank you.

That's what I would do, and just because your intent for the 20A breaker, is to protect the conductors, to the recep., THHN, 14-2 is rated for 20A, so check the label on the 14-2.

Also, don't just depend upon the wire nuts, if you are using them, as a binder, always twist the conductors together, first.

If you go from the third switch to the light and then from the light to the outlet the outlet will be dead unless the light is on. My understanding is you want the outlet live all the time. if that is the case you need to run S1 to L1, S2 to L2, S3 to L3 and then another cable from the power source to the outlet without going thru a switch.

That's what I would do, and just because your intent for the 20A breaker, is to protect the conductors, to the recep., THHN, 14-2 is rated for 20A, so check the label on the 14-2.

Also, don't just depend upon the wire nuts, if you are using them, as a binder, always twist the conductors together, first.
Thank you so much - i was thinking of using wire nuts, but with researching I also see that wago connectors are popular.

Latest posts

Back