3 Way Wall Light Switch compatible

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burgy

Reaction score
I control the kitchen lights with (2) 3-way switches on either side of the room. One of them has to be in the ON position for the 2nd switch to work. I just realized that. I thought I blew a breaker the other day when the switch would not turn the light on, until I walked to other switch and turned it ON. Is it possible that I can alter how the switches are wired up so that either switch will always turn light on/off regardless of what the other switch is doing? Is it possible that one of the switches is not a 3-way? I haven't pulled out the switches from the gang box yet. Thank you.

Yes to all your questions. I doubt it was wired wrong more than likely a switch failed and got replaced with a regular switch.

I have seen it wired wrong when I was a kid my dad added a light to the garage from the kitchen and he didn’t know what he was doing and made it like yours. I was always being told to run out to the garage and turn on the light so my dad could turn it off inside.

Burgy has this 3 way set up always worked this way or did it happen recently?
If it was functioning correctly at one time and suddenly failed (confirm that you did not make any alterations to the set up) then it is more than likely the switch that failed or a wire came loose.

How comfortable are you with turning off the proper circuit breaker to this circuit? If you are going to pull the switch out of the box be sure you shut off the power at the breaker first and be sure it is off. Sometimes the panel is not marked properly.

Both switches are 3-way switches. See pics. I will try to explain what I have seen thus far. The first two pics are of the switch on far wall in kitchen. Black and Red traveler wires attached. White is capped not being used.

Power is coming in from 2nd Paddle switch on opposite wall. What I see is that the paddle switch is being fed electricity through another line. The paddle switch has a white, red, and black wire attached. The white wire is actually wrapped in black tape. Assuming that means it is Hot and the traveler. You can see the white wire at the terminal and then black tape starts (3rd pic). That wire (white) is capped off in the gang box in the kitchen. That part confuses me. Shouldn't it be connected since it is connected on the paddle switch? The red wire, the other traveler, connects to the switch in the kitchen.

Kitchen Switch: black wire from kitchen switch is connected to the white wire coming from the power source line on the Paddle switch wall gang box. You can see those two wires capped off with yellow wire nut. Last two pics.

The black wire on the lower right side of paddle switch is bringing in the electricity from another line which you can sort of see in the back right part of the gang box. It is sliver in color.

If this makes any sense, is there a way I can get both switches to turn the light on/off regardless of what position each switch is in?

Attachments

• Kitchen 3 way white capped.jpg
    Kitchen 3 way white capped.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Kitchen terminal.jpg
    Kitchen terminal.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Paddle 3 way white wire.jpg
    Paddle 3 way white wire.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Paddle 3 way.jpg
    Paddle 3 way.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 8
  • paddle power.jpg
    paddle power.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Paddle white black capped.jpg
    Paddle white black capped.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 8
Haven’t went thru all your description of photos yet in detail, But first a simple question.

Was it all working properly at some point and then went wonky?

If it was then I would just replace the switches just as they are and one of them has likely not working in one direction.

I would change them both even to just rule out the switches.

Other than that you didn’t see any lose wires?

If the 3way in photo #1 is wired from a single 14/3 romex, then connect the capped white to the switch.

In the link I sent you in post #2, it shows how 3way's are wired.

"One of them has to be in the ON position for the 2nd switch to work. "
There is no ON or OFF position when referring to a 3 way switch set up.

Bud16415 and I have both asked you the same question which really needs to be answered for us to have a better understanding of this issue.

Was this 3 way switch set up working at any time? Prior to having this issue if it was working did you make any changes to the set up.

If this was working and then suddenly failed for any reason you are best off as Bud said to just replace the two 3 way switches. You could end up saving yourself a ton of time in the end along with a lot less frustration. If you remove the switches be sure that you first label the wires and make note of what wires go to what screws on the switches. Take pictures also. Take special note of what wire goes to the dark screw on each switch. That wire must go to a dark screw on a new switch (note the screw may not be in the same position on the new switch as the old switch so be sure you pay special attention to the fact that the screw is black/dark colored). Those are your "common" screws which are very important to know and make note of.

One you let us know if this was working at one time we can better assist you. If you start to pull wires off the switches and try changing their positions you can easily get your self in trouble - meaning you will just complicate the problem.

Put the white wire on the other screw of the first swtich.

The switches have always performed this way. No changes were ever made. I will try some things and go from there.

The white wire is something to try. All that can happen is you trip the breaker. There is no reason to have a wire lose like that with a 3way, except if the guy wiring it only had 2 conductor romex and he ran 2 of them. with the red wire in there that doesn't seem to be the case.

Hey Burgy, try the following. On one of the switches label the wires #1, #2 and #3. Then, with the breaker off of course, move wire #1 to position number 2, then #2 to position number 3, and finally #3, two position number one. Turn the breaker back on and check to see if that works. If that doesn't work, rotate them one more time. Hopefully, one of those two should do the trick for you

Back