31” door frame - best way to add door.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papakevin

Reaction score
I’ve replaced many an interior door in my day, but believe I’m doing it wrong.
I’m looking to add an interior door to a frame which measures 31” wide. In the past I would purchase a 32” door and used a planer to trim it down. (I cannot find a 31” slab, only 30 ans 32” options.) The last time I did this, i purchased a 32” slab from Home Depot and it seemed like it almost cut into the hollow past of the door. I also trimmed both the hinge side and the latch side.
I’m wondering now if this is the best way to fit in a née door. /
Should I get a 30” door, predrilled for the knob and simply add some extra material to make the door opening smaller or is shaving down the door the best approach? Most slabs available in my area seem to have very little material to trim on the sides before you get into the hollow sections. Thanks.

I would definitely go with a 30" door. Like you said, not much meat on the edges 1.5" each side I think.

It makes me wonder if the jamb was shimmed to fit a smaller door. I would check the size of the rough-in opening if you haven't already done so.

The house was built in the late forties/early 50s so the door jams are odd sizes. This doorway never had a door but I’m trying to install the door now to make it a bedroom.

If the rough-in dimension is 32" or larger you may have other options.

Last edited:
Get a 32" door blank and trim 9/16" off both edges. Rout your own hinges out and drill your own lockset to match other doors in the house.

Check rough-in dimensions and plumb before cutting a door. If studs are plumb (no shims required) jams could be made from thin plywood to gain width.

Back