Anchor fence post to brick wall?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soparklion11

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm replacing a fence. The old fence posts were looser than <insert punchline here>. One of my gates is immediately adjacent to my house. Formerly the 'catch' post was adjacent to the house.

I'm considering anchoring the new post to the house. I would anchor into bricks, not mortar.

Options that I see:
Catch adjacent to house, anchored to house, and double-post opposite side to support the weight of the gate.

Gate hinge on single post anchored to house. Single catch post opposite the hinge.

Thank you,
Brian
20200425_103548.jpg20200425_103523.jpg20200425_103548.jpg20200425_103523.jpg

Brick is known as an unreliable anchoring media, so if you have the alternative, anchor the latch side to the brick.

Do not drill the brick.
It is difficult, and can cause a split.
The mortar will hold a screw just fine.

I like to use the blue ribbed plastic masonry anchors.
They are fluted, blue plastic, drill 5/16 hole.
The good kind are two inches long.
Drill the hole carefully, a sloppy hole will not grab at all.

Insert a # 12 or 14 stainless phillips sheet metal screw 2 inches long or as long as needed. Use stainless washers.
Use deck screws if you need longer length.

As mentioned above, you can anchor a treated 2x4 to the wall as a spacer, which gives you a good surface to screw a post onto.

I took another look at your mortar joints down there, they look pretty bad.
It needs tuck pointing asap.

Should I worry about putting anchor holes in my foundation?

I'm tempted to go through the mortar between the bricks. Near the corner of the house I should be assured of hitting 2x4" lumber in the corner of the frame under the brick facade.

It sounds like you've both done this before. I was going to anchor a treated 2x4 - as Neal suggests - into the block with 3 1/2" anchor sleeves. Then use screws that are 4 1/2" (3 1/2" + 1" = 4 1/2") to go through the 4x4 and 1 inch into the 2x4.

Would I add stability by burying the whole thing in concrete?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back