Anyone here owns a portable AC unit ?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnv713

Reaction score
i got an LG portable unit and wondering if anything is wrong with mine. I have it on COOL mode and the darn thing never shut off. Called CS and they said the compressor kicks on for a few min then shut off once the desired temp is reached but the fan stay on as long as the unit is not shut off. Does that sound about right? I thought at some point both the comp and fan would stop. The lady answered the phone said you can hear it when the compressor sound different from the fan when it cut off but i cant tell to save my life.

That’s how my window units work...fan never shuts off but compressor kicks on when temp goes over target temp. I’ve never tried energy saver function like stated above...now I’m curious.

Some have energy saver and some don’t. Our Bigger one on the first floor just keeps blowing. The smaller one we have in the bedroom has the energy saver and it does turn off the fan and the cooling once temp is reached. It sits for about 10 minutes then kicks back on.

I don’t know maybe they all have to have energy saver now.

I experienced(finally!) the energy saver mode and indeed it shuts the fan off when temp is reached. I’m not sure why I never read up about it or tried it but will definitely keep it there to keep cost down.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 1
possible reasons why your air conditioner runs constantly

Your air conditioner is too small. When a new air conditioner is installed in your home, your contractor must ensure that the size is not too big, not too small but just right for the size of your home. If the air conditioner that you have is too small, it will run all the time because it isn't powerful enough to meet your home's cooling demands. The only solution to this is to install a properly sized air conditioner in your home.

Your air conditioner is getting old. As air conditioners get older, they begin to lose their ability to properly cool your home. Various system components can begin to become inefficient, and your air conditioner will have to run much more often than it used to in order to keep your home cool. A new air conditioner will not only have shorter cooling cycles, but will also consume much less energy.

Your home has air leaks. Air leaks can develop around your windows and doors, as well as in your ductwork. These leaks allow conditioned air to escape your home, which means your air conditioner has to keep producing more cool air and runs more often than it should. To avoid this, be sure to seal the leaks in your home, especially in the areas around your windows and doors.

Your cooling coils are dirty. When your cooling coils are dirty, your air conditioner has a much harder time removing heat from your home. That's why it's so important to have them cleaned during an annual tune-up, or to contact Jerry Kelly if yours are dirty.

Your thermostat is set to keep it running. Your air conditioner can only handle a specific temperature difference between your home and outside. If your thermostat is set at 65 degrees and it's 95 degrees out, your air conditioner will have to run constantly to try and keep up. Consider raising your thermostat to a more reasonable level.

It's an abnormally hot day. It's important to note that on extremely hot days, you should expect your air conditioner to run more often than usual. Don't let this be a cause for alarm, because your cooling cycles will return to normal when it cools down to more moderate temperatures.

Back