Arched radius window leaking

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdrymer

Reaction score
We have an arched radius window on a home we just had built. During a very strong rain storm yesterday (with wind-driven rain) we noticed we had some water dripping inside below the interior window trim to the left of the window (from the outside pictures, circled in red). I attached a picture of how the window was flashed before the stone veneer went up. We are obviously contacting the builder about correcting this but I was hoping someone may be able to tell me based on the pictures whether the window was originally flashed correctly, or what you may see lacking that I can convey to the builder. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• House window after.png
    House window after.png
    411.6 KB · Views: 13
  • House window before.png
    House window before.png
    292.1 KB · Views: 15
It's really hard to tell from the pic what's going on. Could be several sources. Could be flashing, could be the window unit it's self.

Now that the sidings on it's going to be hard to figure out where, and why it's leaking.
I got called on one of these in a brand new home that the builder said he had tried to fix three times and it still leaked.
I pulled the siding off and found about a 6" section at the top of the window had broken off.
The whole flange and top of the window frame was missing, and they had tried to cover it up with flashing tape and about 1/2 tube of caulking.
It took me longer to get my 40 ft. ladder in place then to figure this one out. :)

Yes and unfortunately this particular wall is finished in stone veneer so it's not as easy as just pulling siding off to look underneath. I see there is a vertical seem running down that is taped and meets lower corner of the radius window and I'm not sure if anyone thought that looks suspect. Should I push to have the builder remove the stone veneer around the window to inspect it further, or just start with looking around the trimmed area? I spoke with them today and I think they would rather just caulk or look for voids in the mortar on the outside.

My question is though that if the wall was properly flashed water still shouldnt have been able to penetrate inside it, even if the outside was missing caulking/mortar. Is that a correct assumption?

Last edited:
Simply caulking is never a solution, it only gets them past the warranty period and you'll be left with a bigger issue in months to come. Make them fix it properly and go to whatever length is necessary.

I agree. So if that window was originally waterproofed properly, I should have never had water penetrating inside the wall correct? (even if there wasn't any caulking on the outside) ? What do you suggest having them check? Should the trim be removed to inspect the flashing tape around the window unit?

The leak could be coming from anywhere near or above the point where your seeing it. Water can migrate a long way. Scaning the wall from the inside with a FLIR thermal imaging camera may give an indication of where the issue is. From past experiences chasing down leaks like yours, I fully believe the only permanent course of action is to remove stone and follow the water trail.

Here are a couple interior pictures of the leaks for what it's worth.

Attachments

• 2021-07-07 14_05_23-IMG_20210702_174919104_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg ‎- Photos.png
    2021-07-07 14_05_23-IMG_20210702_174919104_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg ‎- Photos.png
    405.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 2021-07-07 14_06_52-IMG_20210702_174924522.jpg ‎- Photos.png
    2021-07-07 14_06_52-IMG_20210702_174924522.jpg ‎- Photos.png
    436.3 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Back