Bath Tub Removal

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcbucs

Reaction score
I'm trying to remove a bath tub but I can't seem to get it out it seems unbelievably heavy. I'm not sure what type of tub it is and if its the type I would need to smash into pieces to remove? It almost seems like there's an acrylic topper on an old tub but I'm not certain.

IMG_0541.JPG

IMG_0542.JPG

IMG_0544.JPG

IMG_0545.JPG

It looks like a steel tub, and I see what you are saying about the liner. If it is a liner, who knows what they put in there to fill any voids between the two.

Drill a hole in it and see if you get some clues, or throw an old blanket over it and give it a couple good swings with a ten pound hammer and see what breaks.

It looks like a steel tub, and I see what you are saying about the liner. If it is a liner, who knows what they put in there to fill any voids between the two.

Drill a hole in it and see if you get some clues, or throw an old blanket over it and give it a couple good swings with a ten pound hammer and see what breaks.

That is not a steel tub it's cast iron. It could weight as much as 180#.

if it is cast iron smash it with a 20 lb sledge, 4 pcs.

if its a steel tub, cut it in half with a saw zall or a grinder with cut off wheel

it might be easir if the drain was unhooked

When the drain is removed you should be able tell what it is by how thick it is.

Then a ten pound hammer will prove that.
There is an angle brace under the corner that I have not seen in a cast iron tub.

The corner brace is what I was looking at. Hard to tell from the picture but if it's flat it's a steel tub but if it's round it's cast iron.

I hope you also plan on replacing all that old steel plumbing all the way back to the supply.
Steel plumbing will leak and rust out from the inside out 100 % of the time at some point.

Alright guys I got it out. I had to smash it with a 8lb sledge. It was cast iron but topped with an acrylic liner that I cut off with sawzall and also broke away it was all glued together. Now I am at the waste overflow valve and trying to figure out which nut to unscrew to remove and how I would connect a new pvc one? Attached are photos with labeled nuts.
Thanks

overflow_nuts_labeled.jpg

IMG_0549.JPG

drain_kit.jpg

IMG0546.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I would replace it all the way back to the stack connection.

Remove the top one the lower one is a bushing. Can't tell from the picture but that may be lead pipe above the bushing.

Ok I got the 1st nut off and the 2nd one I labeled as a nut does appear to be a bushing connected to the trap. I have the nut loose but am not able to lift the waste overflow valve out it is only moving side to side.

IMG_0554.JPG

IMG_0555.JPG

IMG_0556.JPG

Ok if its like that one and goes down further what should I do to get it out? Should I try loosening whatever it is that's above the busing but below the compression nut?

IMG_0559.jpg

I thinl you will want to change the trap too, I would dig that out and see what you have below that.

What he has below is a cast iron trap. And that is a piece of lead pipe attached to the bushing.

What he has below is a cast iron trap. And that is a piece of lead pipe attached to the bushing.

I haven't seen old cast with a threaded fitting. I just wouldn't take a chance of breaking something before I knew what I had. I would want to change ut as much as I could but still leave all options open.:hide:

Ok I dug down and it looks like a cast iron trap beneath. There was nothing wrong with the waste overflow valve was thinking now that I can not get it off the p-trap to reuse with new gaskets for the next bathtub but not sure if it would line up properly.

IMG_0560.JPG

IMG_0561.JPG

Latest posts

Back