bathroom ceiling fan question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikejurasw

Reaction score
Hi all, here's the situation: I am going to install a bathroom fan/light unit for a friend. Currently there is a ceiling light (which is where the new unit goes) and farther downstream a simple soffit-light over the sink. Both of these are on/off from one wall switch. The owner wants a "remote control" switched ceiling fan (didn't know they exist...), which it sounds like should be wired hot all the time, and the double "switch" for fan and light are actually RC signalers.
Where I need advice: 1) have any of you installed/used this kind of fan? 2) how do I then handle the single sink light? I don't want it on 24/7. Will I need to expand the box to hold a third, dedicated switch? Does that mean running a new cable to this fixture?
ThanKS!!!!
M. Miller

How about starting with the MFG. and model # of the product you are seeking advice about.

Generally, the switch for the fan/light are installed where the existing is now switched, however for there to be two separate devices switched, the hot pair need to be in the existing switch box, which may then eliminate the separate switch leg for the vanity fixture, which can be overcome by using another remote receiver.

Thanks. still standing by for owner to send me specific product info.

Finding the location of the hot pair will be critical.

Latest posts

Back