Bathroom Ceiling

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Tully

Reaction score
My bathroom was redone about five years ago. In the past few weeks the tape(from the ceiling is starting to peel off in several spots). When my family takes showers the bathroom steams up like crazy. I checked the fan and it is working and properly vented. I just don't know know if it is a painting and drywall issue or do I need to get a new bathroom fan. I just don't want to have to do this every couple of years.

The fan works, is it used all the time when showering? Do you let it run for awhile after the shower is finished? Some newer fans operate automatically turning on when the humidity level rises to a set point and remains running until it drops below the set point.

Repairing the drywall and painting it with a semi-gloss paint will probably help.

If the bathroom is steaming up heavily, the fan or ducting or both are undersized, and not running long enough also.

As Sparky said, a fan with humidistat and also a motion sensor would be better.

If vent is too long, re-route to a quicker exit.

You can get big powerful but still quiet fans for about $200.00, with humidistat.
Four inch duct at least.

Is there a gap under the door of at least 1" so the fan can get make up air?
Tested the fan to see if the flapper is stuck closed, a simple test would be to just take a section of TP and see if it sucks up to the fan housing on the ceiling.
Some flappers can be seen if you remove the fan cover to see if it's moving.
If it's sticking the fan will run but not suck out any air.

Back