Bathroom pull cord

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diy_novice

Reaction score
Hey guys, just recently changed my bathroom pull cord switch. Wired it all up but when I turn the extractor fan on it instantly trips rcd. I live in a flat and have extractor fans in every room with the main switch located in store cupboard. I’m a complete novice and assumed this main switch when switched on turns all extractor fans on including the bathroom but have recently been told that my bathroom pull cord switch may also turn the bathroom fan on and off with the lights.
As I said I recently had to change the pull cord so bought one from local shop and replaced it( 1 way pull cord switch). But now the lights work fine but each time I turn the extractor on from the Mai switch it instantly trips the rcd. Any help is appreciated.

If it is immediately tripping the breaker you must have a short after the switch. Check all your connections to make sure that you don't have a stray hot wire touching the ground, a box, or the frame of the fan.

Back