Bathroom Tub Faucet Leak Below Spigot

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,
I am new to this forum and very clueless about home repairs and plumbing. I have an issue in my bathroom that I am very concerned about. I recently noticed that when the tub faucet is turned on, a stream of water steadily pours from the base of the spigot and pools up across the back deck of the tub. It then flows into the tub and off the side, which is alarming bc it is causing water to get into the flooring. I am having to put a folded paper towel at the edge in order to stop the flow of water from going over the side. I am most concerned that there is also water going behind the wall which would easily cause water damage and mold where I cannot see.
We went through something similar a year ago in another bathroom and it turned into a massive mold remediation which was so stressful and terrible. I don't want to open up the panel and look inside yet bc the panel is in a bedroom where three of my young children sleep and if there is black mold in there, I don't want to open it up and expose it out into the sleeping area until we are ready to go to a hotel and do repairs. Obviously that's going to take some coordination to line up first.
What I am wondering is that is it possible that there is just a leak in the front of the spigot and it is not also leaking inside the wall, or does the front leak basically imply that there is a leak inside as well?
Thanks in advance.

Welcome.
A photo of the tub spout may be indicative, or not.

In general, there are 2 types of connection for tub spouts, threaded or gasket and they are interchange able, as after-market products.

If there is a notch in the bottom side of the spout, near the base/shower wall, it's probably a gasketed and accessed through the notch, will be a screw, that when loosened allows the spout to be removed, replaced or repaired.

The threaded can be removed by turning it counter clockwise, and the threaded fitting warped clockwise with teflon tape and the spout reinstalled.

If the pipe that the spout attached to is not sealed where it exits the wall, some tube-n-tile caulk will address that.

Welcome.
A photo of the tub spout may be indicative, or not.

In general, there are 2 types of connection for tub spouts, threaded or gasket and they are interchange able, as after-market products.

If there is a notch in the bottom side of the spout, near the base/shower wall, it's probably a gasketed and accessed through the notch, will be a screw, that when loosened allows the spout to be removed, replaced or repaired.

The threaded can be removed by turning it counter clockwise, and the threaded fitting warped clockwise with teflon tape and the spout reinstalled.

If the pipe that the spout attached to is not sealed where it exits the wall, some tube-n-tile caulk will address that.

Thank you so much for responding. I took a photo - not sure if this helps or not. This is in an older model manufactured home. The stream of water comes out almost directly underneath the main spigot and runs down the wall. It streams out whenever the faucet is on, but one of my daughters mentioned she saw water pooled underneath earlier and it had not been turned on. I don't know yet if that was a fluke (someone turned it on and is not admitting it) or not yet.

I don't see how any of it could be removed. Does this type even come off or is it built in?IMG-6528.JPGIMG-6529.JPG

AHA, the plot thickens.

The hole in the bottom of the spout is likely a drain, and in practicality, the purpose is there for the viewing/experiencing.

The water will likely need to be shut-off for the following, but maybe not.

The spout is likely gasketed, and to remove the assembly, the "C & H" on the faucets when removed will reveal screws, that when removed allow the faucet handles to be removed, which will reveal nuts & washers, that when removed will allow the assembly to be removed.

While the assembly can probably be repaired, I would opt for updating to a product and installation, much more conducive to repairs.

AHA, the plot thickens.

The hole in the bottom of the spout is likely a drain, and in practicality, the purpose is there for the viewing/experiencing.

The water will likely need to be shut-off for the following, but maybe not.

The spout is likely gasketed, and to remove the assembly, the "C & H" on the faucets when removed will reveal screws, that when removed allow the faucet handles to be removed, which will reveal nuts & washers, that when removed will allow the assembly to be removed.

While the assembly can probably be repaired, I would opt for updating to a product and installation, much more conducive to repairs.

Hm, I had not noticed the hole. How odd.

So this whole conversation inspired me to go investigate further and see exactly what happened when I turned on both the hot and cold knobs. When I turn on the hot knob, nothing happens except hot water coming out of the faucet as it should. When I turn on the cold knob, however, I see that the stream of water starts coming out at the base of the actual cold knob itself. So that seems to be the source of the issue.

I have attached a video of this which might help to illustrate this better than words.

I think what I am trying to determine - which may be impossible to determine without opening things up - is whether or not it is possible that this is just a surface leak and is not leaking inside the wall causing massive water damage. If it's just something that I can fix by replacing the faucet assembly, then it's really no big deal. But if water is pouring out inside the wall whenever it is on then I am dealing with a much bigger and more serious issue that's going to be a big ordeal to fix.

Attachments

• IMG-6566.MOV
    17 MB
Thanks, even more thickening.

Shut the water off, then remove the cold water cap, knob and you will be able to then disassemble the faucet & replace washers gasket and seats.

When the stem is removed there will be a washer at it's base, that press against the seat and shuts the water off. The seat can become damaged and you can tell if it is damaged by inserting you finger, and rotating. If there are no irregularities overhaul the Sten and reassemble.

I'm 80+ and have a whole different approach to mold, than the current hyperbole.

A face mask, a spry bottle of slightly, or not, diluted bleach, rubber gloves and towels/rags/ sponge, scrub brush. Squirt, rag, wipe scrub, let dry, wash tools, store bleach for another day.

Thanks, even more thickening.

Shut the water off, then remove the cold water cap, knob and you will be able to then disassemble the faucet & replace washers gasket and seats.

When the stem is removed there will be a washer at it's base, that press against the seat and shuts the water off. The seat can become damaged and you can tell if it is damaged by inserting you finger, and rotating. If there are no irregularities overhaul the Sten and reassemble.

I'm 80+ and have a whole different approach to mold, than the current hyperbole.

A face mask, a spry bottle of slightly, or not, diluted bleach, rubber gloves and towels/rags/ sponge, scrub brush. Squirt, rag, wipe scrub, let dry, wash tools, store bleach for another day.

Thank you, this is extremely helpful. I guess I will start with removing the assembly and go from there. Thanks again.

Departed to view 1883.

A couple of screw drivers and some channel locks will suffice, Pisk up some PASCO faucet lube for the reassembly, because things come apart easier, for future disassembly.

Departed to view 1883.

A couple of screw drivers and some channel locks will suffice, Pisk up some PASCO faucet lube for the reassembly, because things come apart easier, for future disassembly.

I really appreciate all the tips. I might Google some youtube videos before I try this.

Back