Best Method: Floor Demo

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtenorio

Reaction score
Best Method

I have an older bathroom ( 1920’s) with a tile floor that sits on top of a mortar bed (2 inches thick). This floor is like a sidewalk. A sledge hammer is just chipping it. Any suggestion? I’m considering a Jack Hammer.

Thank you

Hi...
Sounds like a similar problem I had. I have a 1960s home with tile over very thick mortar. I rented a chipping hammer. It worked pretty well, but I was trying to bust out the old mortar. Just didn't work too well. I ended up using the chipping hammer to bust out the tiles, and remove any of the mortar that came out easily. Then went back and filled in the holes with mud. It was a huge battle...but eventually worked pretty well

I would think about going with an electric demolition hammer or chipping hammer. if you don't try to get big chunks, but work on small pieces. it should work OK.
It will get dust everywhere. get as much exhaust as you can. were a good dustmask/ respirator and ear pro.
Also keep an eye out for what is below it. you may end up dropping the plaster off the ceiling below it.

Latest posts

Back