Preparing door previously painted with oil paint

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

regulardad

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am prepping a door, which was painted with oil paint at least 14 years ago.

There are quite a few areas with loose paint to scrape. As can be seen in the photos, there is still a way to go with paint that is on the ¿molded? areas of the door. My gut is if I go much further with scraping, I will end up damaging the wood.

I am wondering about using a little paint stripper in these areas, and if so, is there any particular advice on what brand to use or anything else to look out for.

The last time I used paint stripper was decades ago as a teenager and the task then was to get every last bit of paint off a door so it could be stained. I have never tried using it in a more targeted way that I am contemplating here. My plan is to get it in reasonably good shape and then prime and paint with latex paint.

Thanks,

Kevin

Attachments

• IMG_2236.jpeg
    IMG_2236.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2237.jpeg
    IMG_2237.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Were it I, and it isn't, I would first try, gently, triple "0" steel wool, fallowed with some 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper, then prime with some zinsser oil base primer, which is a transitional primer.

Back